The yield of natural gas

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

The yield of natural gas

by gmatjeet » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:48 am
The yield of natural gas from Norway's Troll gas field is expected to increase annually until the year 2005 and then to stabilize at six billion cubic feet a day , which will allow such an extraction rate at least for 50 years' production
A. 2005 and then to stabilize at six billion cubic feet a day, which will allow such an extraction rate at least for
B. 2005 and then to stabilize at six billion cubic feet a day, an extraction rate that will allow at least
C. 2005 and then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, with such an extraction rate at the least allowing
D. 2005, then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, allowing such an extraction rate for at least
E. 2005, then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, which will allow such an extraction rate for at least

OA : B

I could answer this Q easily but when i tried to understand the reasoning from OG, i got some Q's.

OG says: D is wrong becayse stabilitizing is wrong. It should be || with "To increase"

I agree with this but my reason for eliminating D was " - ing modifiers" and "modifiers between two commas".

The yield of natural gas from Norway's Troll gas field is expected to increase annually until the year 2005, then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, allowing such an extraction rate for at least 50 years' production.
-> A phrase between two commas (,) is usually not compulsory and sentence should make sense without that.
So i read it "The yield of natural gas from Norway's Troll gas field is expected to increase annually until the year 2005, then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, allowing such an extraction rate for at least 50 years' production".

Now, In modifiers a comma + ing modifier modifies noun + verb. What is allowing modify here? "Yield is expected" This is incorrect.

Can someone please clarify and correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

Followed by:1 members

by gmat25 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:27 am
gmatjeet wrote:The yield of natural gas from Norway's Troll gas field is expected to increase annually until the year 2005 and then to stabilize at six billion cubic feet a day , which will allow such an extraction rate at least for 50 years' production
A. 2005 and then to stabilize at six billion cubic feet a day, which will allow such an extraction rate at least for
B. 2005 and then to stabilize at six billion cubic feet a day, an extraction rate that will allow at least
C. 2005 and then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, with such an extraction rate at the least allowing
D. 2005, then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, allowing such an extraction rate for at least
E. 2005, then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, which will allow such an extraction rate for at least

OA : B

I could answer this Q easily but when i tried to understand the reasoning from OG, i got some Q's.

OG says: D is wrong becayse stabilitizing is wrong. It should be || with "To increase"

I agree with this but my reason for eliminating D was " - ing modifiers" and "modifiers between two commas".

The yield of natural gas from Norway's Troll gas field is expected to increase annually until the year 2005, then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, allowing such an extraction rate for at least 50 years' production.
-> A phrase between two commas (,) is usually not compulsory and sentence should make sense without that.
So i read it "The yield of natural gas from Norway's Troll gas field is expected to increase annually until the year 2005, then stabilizing at six billion cubic feet a day, allowing such an extraction rate for at least 50 years' production".

Now, In modifiers a comma + ing modifier modifies noun + verb. What is allowing modify here? "Yield is expected" This is incorrect.

Can someone please clarify and correct me if my reasoning is wrong.
No, i think u are wrong. See, as u said the part b/w COMMA is usually unnecessary and u can chop that off but this thing holds true when that part is a NON-ESSENTIAL MODIFIER. Means even if u replace the MODIFIER that doesn't affect the soul or the meaning of the sentence. Here, the part in COMMA's is essential and necessary for the meaning as it is a part of the sequence of events that happened, so u can't chop it off. Moreover, STABILIZING is correctly modifying "The yield of natural gas", and thus the only problem appear in this part is PARALLELISM.

Hope this help!!!

Followed by:1 members

by zaarathelab » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:31 am
Since 'TO INCREASE' follows 'EXPECTED' it needs to be made logically and grammatically parallel by inserting 'TO STABILIZE'

A general question:

Since gerunds function as nouns and infinitives can also function as nouns, in a sentence, can we make infinitives parallel to gerunds?
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 pm
Hi Zara,

Although to verb (infinitive) and verb - ing (gerund) function as noun, it is not preferable to make them parallel.

It is better to keep the pattern of the list intact for clear meaning. For example:

Asking questions is more difficult than answering them.
Here, the two elements asking questions and answering them are in verb - ing forms. They are parallel. Now, if we change the "answering" to infinitive, it will read:

Asking questions is more difficult than to answer them.
Meaning wise, it is still the same but we are changing the forms of the elements now and this is not preferred. It's better to keep all the elements of the list as much parallel as possible.

Hope this helps. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: The yield of natural gas

by tinku143 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:09 am
The yield of natural gas from Norway's Troll gas field is expected
to increase annually until the year 2005
and then to stabilize at six billion cubic feet a day, which will allow such an extraction rate at least for 50 years' production.

day, which … this modifies the day which is incorrect. Rather it should modify the complete clause.

, an extraction rate modifies the complete clause “the yield…. day,”
This is the correct choice.

To increase … and stabilizing is not parallel list.