The University Finance Board's reducing of financial aid to

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
The University Finance Board's reducing of financial aid to underprivileged students fails at recognizing the real and compelling needs of these students.
A. reducing of financial aid to underprivileged students fails at recognizing
B. reducing of financial aid to underprivileged students fails to recognize
C. reduction of financial aid to underprivileged students represents a failure at recognizing
D. reduction of financial aid to underprivileged students represents a failure to recognize
E. reduction to financial aid of underprivileged students represent a failure to recognize

OA is d

what approach can I use to get the correct answer here, please? can someone help me
thanks a lot

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members
GMAT Score:770

by ErikaPrepScholar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:20 pm
We can start by eliminating A and B. First, the proper noun form of reduce is "reduction" not "reducing". Second, this sentence says that "reducing ... fails to recognize...". The act of reducing something cannot recognize or fail to recognize something. The Finance Board can recognize or fail to recognize, but an action cannot. C, D, and E fix this issue by indicating that the reduction "represents" a failure to recognize. An action can represent something, so this works.

Which brings us to C, D, and E.

We should note right away that E uses "represent" (plural) rather than "represents" (singular). Since the noun for this verb is "reduction", which is singular, the verb should also be singular. So we can eliminate E.

Looking and C and D, we see that C says "failure at recognizing" while D says "failure to recognize". Only D is idiomatic. So we eliminate C and pick D.

Erika John - Content Manager/Lead Instructor
https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/

Get tutoring from me or another PrepScholar GMAT expert: https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/tutoring/

Learn about our exclusive savings for BTG members (up to 25% off) and our 5 day free trial

Check out our PrepScholar GMAT YouTube channel, and read our expert guides on the PrepScholar GMAT blog