The Secret Sauce

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

The Secret Sauce

by jeffrey.adcom » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:32 pm
The GMAT journey, on an average, takes about 3 to 4 months. In addition, with the percentage of repeat test takers increasing by the year, given the high stakes for a 700 + GMAT score, the actual time taken to ace the GMAT is far longer.

Often this extended prep leaves one completely exhausted. The creative juice which is so critical for developing a cutting edge, above the din admissions package, gets blunted a bit. I have seen scores of listless essays, even by 750 + applicants. Many of them believe that their stellar score would open the B-School floodgates. Colossal blunder, I would say.

With over a decade experience in culling wheat from the chaff, when I first lay my hands on a profile, I'll take a quick glance at the resume. If I can find glimpses of
  • Decent undergrad education with good academic performance,
    Well rounded exposure to extra-curricular activities,
    Linear work experience with a steady upward gradient in responsibilities and leadership opportunities,
I'll then dig deeper and confirm my instinct with thorough whetting of admission package - ESSAYS, in particular (and usually a background check by the school). A healthy 700 + GMAT score, at this stage, would almost certainly lead to an interview invite. On the other hand, If I find gaps in the above metrics, I wouldn't give a damn about GMAT score; and would hand over a DING.

This is where the SECRET SAUCE kicks in. Even with an equivocal preliminary screening, the only tools that would revive your fortunes by altering and enhancing my impression about you, are your essays. If I see traces of

• Considerable maturity
    Clear purpose, defined goals and focused action
    Succinct writing with Practical and Pragmatic opinions and viewpoints.
    Down to earth attitude with complete absence of hyperbole
    Honesty and yearning for learning and growing
    Empathy for fellow mankind and mother earth (seriously)

in your essays, then you'd be seriously considered for a place. Even a 680 + score is par for the course.

Significant efforts and time need to be invested in laying down your story in all detail, picking the relevant bullet points for each essay in question and weaving beautiful paragraphs around these.
Top 5 MBA admissions consulting since 2006 |> 95% success rate| Stellar Value
Blog: https://jeffrey-adkom.blocked/