The Scandinavian assault on western Europe culminated

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members
The Scandinavian assault on western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English Kingdom,which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat,unsuccessfully,later in the same century.

(A) which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat,unsuccessfully,later in the same century.
(B) which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later that same century,but not successfully
(C) an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted later in the century to repeat,but were not successful at it
(D) an achievement attempted later in the century by other Scandinavian kings that was not successful
(E) an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century,but without success.

What is wrong with options A and B?

OA E

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:33 am
lheiannie07 wrote:The Scandinavian assault on western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English Kingdom,which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat,unsuccessfully,later in the same century.

(A) which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat,unsuccessfully,later in the same century.
(B) which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later that same century,but not successfully
(C) an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted later in the century to repeat,but were not successful at it
(D) an achievement attempted later in the century by other Scandinavian kings that was not successful
(E) an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century,but without success.
A and B: the English Kingdom, which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat
Here, which seems to refer to the English kingdom, implying that other Scandanavian kings attempted to repeat THE ENGLISH KINGDOM -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A and B.

C: achievement that other Scandinavian kings...were not successful at it
Here, that and it cannot both serve to refer to an achievement.
Eliminate C.

D: an achievement...that was not successful
This meaning is nonsensical: an achievement can be neither successful nor unsuccessful.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3