The MBA program

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

The MBA program

by sanju09 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 am
If 50 percent of those who request information about a certain MBA program actually apply for admission to the program, what percent of those who request information eventually enroll in the program?

(1) Twenty percent of those who apply are extended offers of acceptance.

(2) Fifty percent of those who receive offers of acceptance enroll in a different MBA program.

IMO E
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by litteraround » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:30 am
What do you mean by E (as in Either) or the option E (Neither).

If you mean the latter, then I think you are right.

May I ask something...if you already have a score of 760, you are already on the top of the world. What purpose would it solve by getting an 800, which I don't think any amount of preparation will guarantee anyway.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by hardik.jadeja » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:52 am
I think answer is C.

Lets say 100 people requested for information about a certain MBA program. So 50 of them would have actually applied.

(A) Twenty percent of those who apply are extended offers of acceptance.
Insufficient. if 50 out of 100 applied to a certain MBA program then 10 would receive acceptance. But we don't know how many will eventually enroll in the program. It could be all 10 or it could be 2. So insufficient.

(B) Fifty percent of those who receive offers of acceptance enroll in a different MBA program.
Insufficient. 50 out of 100 applied to a certain MBA program but still we don't know how many got accepted out of those 50. If we don't know how many got accepted then its not possible to find how many actually enrolled.

But if A and B both are available then,
100 requested information. 50 out of those 100 applied.
10 out of 50 got accepted (as per info given in A)
and 5 out of 10 enrolled. (as per info given in B).

So only 5 would have enrolled if 100 had requested for information.

So i guess answer is C.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by litteraround » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:24 pm
@Hardik

well, 2nd statement says 50 of those who get the offer go for a different MBA program, leaving the other 50 available for this particular one. But, that doesn't mean that these remaining 50 all get registered for the above program. May be some (out of this 50), after getting accepted, dropped the idea of an MBA altogether.

Maybe i am over analyzing it, but this is why i think its Neither.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

by sanju09 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:38 am
litteraround wrote:What do you mean by E (as in Either) or the option E (Neither).

If you mean the latter, then I think you are right.

May I ask something...if you already have a score of 760, you are already on the top of the world. What purpose would it solve by getting an 800, which I don't think any amount of preparation will guarantee anyway.
With E, a problem-response on GMAT-Data Sufficiency means that "statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data specific to the problem are needed." So I meant the same, my dear friend!

By the way the "target 800" was an old dream of mine, which I still cherish. No one gets to the top of the world merely by scoring a 760 on GMAT, please note.

We know that out of 100 who request for the information, 50 apply for admission to the program and the other 50 don't. We need to know how many of the 50 who apply for admission to the program eventually get enrolled.

I. It says that 10 of the 50 who apply for admission to the program were extended offers of acceptance. After this stage, a candidate may or may not go for it. Colleges never lean on. Hence, insufficient, so, A, D out, and B, C, E is the lot where our answer lies.

II. Half of those who receive offers of acceptance enroll in a different MBA program. Alright! So, how many of the 50 applications receive offers of acceptance? We don't know, so insufficient, and B disappears. Our lot is C, E now.

[spoiler]Let's C why E.[/spoiler]

When we take the two statements together, we know that 10 out of the 50 applications were extended offers of acceptance, and 5 of those turned antagonistic and moved to a different MBA program. Does that mean that the remaining 5 eventually enroll in the program? Do they have any bond with this college? Should we assume on GMAT?

[spoiler]Hence E[/spoiler]
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com