The Hanging Gardens of Babylon

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon

by gmatdriller » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:55 am
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, which stood near a grand palace known as "The Marvel of Mankind" were reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings, are believed to have been destroyed during an earthquake in the first century A.D.

A: were reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings, are
B: was reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings and is
C: reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings and are
D: reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings and were
E: were reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings and are

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon: singular / plural?

by gmatdriller » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:35 pm
I'll appreciate a response here.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:1 members

by KarenVH » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm
This one is pretty straightforward -- "gardens" is plural so Hanging Gardens of Babylon is plural. If this were the title of a book, it would be singular as it would be the title of a single work, but as it is, it's referring to plural gardens, so it's still plural.

Karen v.H.
GMAT Verbal Tutor
Test Prep New York

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:38 am
gmatdriller wrote:The Hanging Gardens of Babylon: singular / plural?
SC1 in the OG12:
The Glass House Mountains in Queensland, Australia, WERE sighted.
Here, were sighted (plural) agrees with The Glass House Mountains (also plural).

SC above:
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, which stood near a grand palace known as "The Marvel of Mankind", WERE reputedly constructed.
Here, the verb (were constructed) must be plural to agree with the The Hanging Gardens (also plural).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by gmatdriller » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:58 am
KarenVH wrote:This one is pretty straightforward -- "gardens" is plural so Hanging Gardens of Babylon is plural. If this were the title of a book, it would be singular as it would be the title of a single work, but as it is, it's referring to plural gardens, so it's still plural.

Karen v.H.
GMAT Verbal Tutor
Test Prep New York
Thanks Karen.
The non-underlined part did not indicate whether "Hanging Gardens of Babylon" is a title or otherwise. So, how do we conclude since the name could serve either singular / plural?

In the example cited by GmatGuru, the non-underlined part already used WERE sighted- plural.

Thanks to respond

by sandipgumtya » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:59 am
whats the OA btw.is it E.

by gmatdriller » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:21 pm
sandipgumtya wrote:whats the OA btw.is it E.
Yes, it is.