THe GMAT beat me today

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

THe GMAT beat me today

by mooraj » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:05 pm
got a 540 (Q-37 V-27) - Really messed it up. Panicked during math.

Is it better to try and do 30 questions in quant and kind of speed guess on the final 7? I didnt do that this time.

My RC para's were way longer than than the GMAT prep tests.
I need a 650 or above. When should I take the GMAT again given that I work 40 hours/week ? I am thinking March 21st ?

Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by Andrei » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:34 am
Hi mooraj,
I also want to improve my score for a second attempt, so I can share with you my strategy, maybe it's helpful.

I think would be good to start with the application deadline: it's necessary to apply in spring - (march 31)? Or can it wait until fall? You would have longer period to focus on study or you have to hurry to get a score ASAP. (I've decided to swith from spring to fall).

Then, I would re-do again all the problems in OG and for any mistake (or problem I've guessed the answer) I would be sure to read and understand the concept behind the answer. Also, first focus on the weakest areas (SC, RC, CR?) then on your stronger points (PS, DS).

Good luck!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by mooraj » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 am
Hi Andrei - Thanks for your reply.

I am applying for the Fall. I have tentatively scheduled my 2nd exam for March 14th. I am going to start studying today. I think your idea is a good one. Go through the OG's and look at every problem.

I am also going to review the verbal classes for Manhattan GMAT (Class I took). Also - reviewing the flash cards on this website will be helpful.