The GMAT beat me!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

The GMAT beat me!!

by vinod332002 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:40 pm
i gave my exam today and got a 650.. I'm so disappointed as i was looking forward to 700+.

When i reached the examination centre, upon verification of my passport, the guy there told me i cannot take the GMAT. My Gmat form showed my name as (First name) Vinod (Surname) Krishnadas, whereas my passport showed my first name as "Krishnadas VInod" When i asked him what i will need to do, he said i need to pick a new date for the exam since the "Rules" state that the names must be an exact match. I insisted he find a work-around and he asked me to take a seat. Those 10 minutes i went through hell, not knowing whether i'd be allowed to take the test or not. All the confidence i'd built up.. WHAM!! gone in a jiffy.. and my heart was pounding.

The fellow spoke to someone over the phone and then came to me and told me i can take the test. This, after he sent back a similar case saying he needed to re-register and re-take the exam on a later date. As i sat on my desk, i had lost all my focus, and was just thankful that i was actually sitting there. My argument essay went amazingly well, so did my issue (At least i liked what i wrote) However, in an attempt to add another point into my issue essay, i was timed out with an incomplete sentence. HOW WILL THIS AFFECT MY AWA score?

I never really recovered from this, and i was aware of my heart beat at most times..

If someone with expertise could help out -
Should i re-take the GMAT?
I have 3 yrs of experience working for an prominent IT company. I also handle some part of my father's proprietry chemical trading business. I am an computer science engineer from University of Mumbai with a 1st class grade. Can i realistically expect to gain entry into the top 30 or so schools with this profile and a 650?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat-10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 pm
you are close to achieving 700+ just put a heavy shot in your preparation. Just read OG 12 as many times and take few GMATPrep and next time your score will be beyond 700.

MBA Student
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:740

by becnil » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:59 pm
Given your disturbing circumstances during your test, I think you should give it another try. You already have the preparation, just brush it up a little bit and go in to win it this time !! GOOD LUCK.