The GMAT and I just brawled ... computer issue during exam!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Completely weird experience. Walked out with a lower score than I would have imagined. I was scoring 700+ on every prep test that I took, but walked out SLIGHTLY below my goal of 700.

Here's the catch (not an excuse . . . a catch): my workstation had an error during the verbal portion where the timer was not set to 75:00. I was interrupted twice during the exam so they could administer corrections, etc.

Ultimately, my quant was much better than usual, but my verbal was horrific - much worse than any previous exam. I'm not blaming the interruptions as the cause, but they certainly didn't help.

Does anyone have experience challenging Pearson Vue/GMAC for a free retake? I'm not proud about pursuing this approach, however, I feel like a standardized tests should be free of glitches of any sort and in the event that they're not, the candidate should be able to retake the exam free of charge.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks to all,

Josh

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:14 pm
I have read a few posts of this nature. IMO you should take this up with GMAC.

Its definietly not good when there is an interuption during a long and stressful standardized test of this kind.

I would take it up defnitely.

Good luck.

Regards,
Cramya

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by carllecat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:43 am
I took the test 3 weeks ago and ran into some problems too. I deposited a complaint and asked to get a refund and they got back to me with a retake at no cost.

Take a look at this link: https://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/TestDay/ ... Takers.htm

"Be tested in a manner that is consistent with the applicable professional testing standards developed by the American Psychological Association (APA), American Educational Research Association (AERA), and National Council on Measurement in Education (NCME). "

"Have your test administered according to standard technical specifications and under standard environmental conditions by test administrators (TAs) who have been trained in the specific rules and procedures required for the GMAT exam. "

If you can prove that this technical problem lowered your score, you have good chance to get a retake a no costs.

Keep us up to date with your situation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:34 pm

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:07 pm
I agree that you should get a free retest and possibly have your score expunged .... definitely take it up with GMAC. It would not be fair to count that score, when clearly the timer issue added lots of stress and distraction (not to mention it probably cost you a couple minutes of valuable time to work on the verbal).

Let us know how it turns out!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by jdefonzo » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:19 pm
All,

Thanks for your support and encouragement. I spoke with a representative from Pearson this morning. They said that the incident is being reviewed and that they will contact me in a few business days to present me with the verdict.

They are essentially arguing that despite interruptions, the remote log-in to my workstation was performed to give me the full amount of test time. Obviously, I disagree and feel that the distractions more than outweighed the "comp'ed" time.

Would anyone recommend me taking this matter to the GMAC in parallel? I asked Pearson if I should contact GMAC and they said that I shouldn't.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Josh

Good News/Bad News

by jdefonzo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:25 am
Pearson and GMAC have decided (unofficially, I still haven't gotten a solid answer from anyone) that my score should be upheld but that they might let me retake the exam (yeah, I know - what the heck?).

At any rate, I found out that I scored a 6.0 on the AWA. Do school's look favorably at this?

Again, I'm not applying to business school this year so I'm leaning towards taking the exam again.

Ultimately, I walked away with a 680 overall, 6.0 AWA. I'm not really sure whether that's competitive or not - I feel like there's so much folk lore out there about 700 or bust (730+ or bust for HBS or Stanford GSB).

Thanks again to all. Happy new year!

-Josh[/i]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by realanoop » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:28 pm
6.0 is damn good awa score. at least that is the highest i have heard... can you give out some tips on the awa ?

by 800_gmat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:04 am
The exact same thing happened a while back.

I spoke to Pearson twice and they never got back to me! and I emailed them several times.

So all I did was take the test again (and got a higher score)

It was very disappointing as I wish that the first score was not on my record permanently.

Any recommendations on what I can do and who I can call?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Computer problem during GMAT exam

by manoj0609 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:01 pm
carllecat wrote:I took the test 3 weeks ago and ran into some problems too. I deposited a complaint and asked to get a refund and they got back to me with a retake at no cost.

Take a look at this link: https://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/TestDay/ ... Takers.htm

"Be tested in a manner that is consistent with the applicable professional testing standards developed by the American Psychological Association (APA), American Educational Research Association (AERA), and National Council on Measurement in Education (NCME). "

"Have your test administered according to standard technical specifications and under standard environmental conditions by test administrators (TAs) who have been trained in the specific rules and procedures required for the GMAT exam. "

If you can prove that this technical problem lowered your score, you have good chance to get a retake a no costs.

Could u please brief me ,how did u articulate the problem in ref to 2 points said by you? I also ran into same kinda problem and has affected my score .

Thanks in advance mate !

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:590

Re: Computer problem during GMAT exam

by carllecat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 pm
manoj0609 wrote:
carllecat wrote:I took the test 3 weeks ago and ran into some problems too. I deposited a complaint and asked to get a refund and they got back to me with a retake at no cost.

Could u please brief me ,how did u articulate the problem in ref to 2 points said by you? I also ran into same kinda problem and has affected my score .

Thanks in advance mate !
Take a look at this link: https://www.beatthegmat.com/different-is ... 27420.html

Good luck!