The average earning of each member of the Gates family...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
The average earning of each member of the Gates family is 20% less than the average earning of each member of the the Buffets family. The total earning of the Gates family is 20% more than the total earning of buffets family. the no. family members in the buffets family is what percent of the no.of the family members of gates:

A.66.66
B.75
C.25
D.33.33
E. 50

The OA is A.

Please, can any expert explain this PS question for me? I have many difficulties to understand why that is the correct answer. Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:03 pm
swerve wrote:The average earning of each member of the Gates family is 20% less than the average earning of each member of the the Buffets family. The total earning of the Gates family is 20% more than the total earning of buffets family. the no. family members in the buffets family is what percent of the no.of the family members of gates:

A.66.66
B.75
C.25
D.33.33
E. 50

The OA is A.

Please, can any expert explain this PS question for me? I have many difficulties to understand why that is the correct answer. Thanks.
Say there are g number of members in the Gates family and b number of members in the Buffet family; say average earning of a member of Buffet family = $100; thus, the average earning of Gates family = $80.

Total earning of Gates family = 80b and total earning of Buffet family = 100g

We are given that 80g - 100b = 20% of 100b =>80g - 100b = 20b => 80g = 120b => b = 23 of g => b = 66.66% of g

The correct answer: A

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Locations: New York | New Delhi | Seoul | Cairo | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:54 pm
swerve wrote:The average earning of each member of the Gates family is 20% less than the average earning of each member of the the Buffets family. The total earning of the Gates family is 20% more than the total earning of buffets family. the no. family members in the buffets family is what percent of the no.of the family members of gates:

A.66.66
B.75
C.25
D.33.33
E. 50

The OA is A.

We can let the average earning of each member of the Buffets family be 10, and thus the average earning of each member of the Gates family will then be 8. We can also let b = the number of members in Buffets family and g = the number of members in Gates family. Therefore, we can create the equation:

8g = 10b x 1.2

8g = 12b

b = 8g/12 = (2/3)g

We see that the number of members in Buffets family is â…”, or 66.66%, of the number of members in Gates family.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage