The Auk

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

The Auk

by sandipgumtya » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:18 am
The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature, it will typically not run from humans, and because it provided meat reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious, was nearly driven to extinction, its numbers, at one point, down to a mere thousand.

A. The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature, it will typically not run from humans, and because it provided meat as reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious

B. The auk's docile nature, it typically will not run from humans, and its delicious meat, as reputed by 19th century poachers,

C. Because it exhibits a docile nature, it did not run away from humans, and it provided meat, reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious, the auk

D. Exhibiting a docile nature-it will typically not run from humans-and providing meat reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious, the auk

E. The auk not only exhibits a docile nature, not typically running from humans, but also provided delicious meat, as reputed by 19th century poachers,

OA is D.Experts can u plz help why C is wrong.
Last edited by sandipgumtya on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:59 pm
Answer choice C has multiple issues.

Look at the tenses in this part. Because it exhibits a docile nature, it did not run away from humans, and it provided meat

We have exhibits, in the present tense, and then did not run and provided, in the past tense. So the sentence lacks consistency. Is this about something that is going on now? or something that occurred in the past?

Next I see a meaning issue. Because it exhibits a docile nature, it did not run away from humans. This seems to convey that rather than having a docile nature and so having a tendency to not run away, it does not run away because it exhibits a docile nature. What does exhibiting a nature really have to do with not running away?

Further, the meaning is unclear and illogical in another way. Is the auk providing meat because it exhibits a docile nature?

Finally the sentence created using choice C could be seen as a comma splice run on sentence. I say "could be seen as" because the sentence created using choice C is structured in such a way that there are multiple ways to read it. Because it exhibits..., it did not run away..., and it provided meat reputed...to be delicious, the auk was nearly driven to extinction.. One way this comma splice issue could be resolved is by replacing the comma between delicious and the auk with a period.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sandipgumtya » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:26 pm
Thanks Marty,
Is the construction in D ok? Is there and dangling modifier issue also in C.?The intended meaning is still not clear to me here.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by singhabhijeet » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:18 am
Hi,

IMO D is the correct answer.
Reason:
1) D option - Perfectly define Modifier. Because ........., The Auk. [Modifier, Noun]

The reason I discarded (c) option is because it after , is sounding ambiguous to me.

Thanks,
Abhijeet

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:05 am
sandipgumtya wrote:Thanks Marty,
Is the construction in D ok? Is there and dangling modifier issue also in C.?The intended meaning is still not clear to me here.
Ah yes, there is a squinting modifier in C in that reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious could be modifying meat or the auk.

Regarding D, I find the construction of the sentence created with that choice to be spot on.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.