Tangents drawn to a circle from a point.

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
Hi All,

Can someone please tell are properties of tangents drawn from a common point tested in GMAT....if yes then can someone please point me to a problem that tests this concept....

I checked Manhattan strategy guide of geometry....

But it does not talk about the tangents drawn from a common point concept....does it mean that properties of tangents drawn from a common point are not in the course of GMAT ?

Thanks
Mohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi All,

Can someone please tell are properties of tangents drawn from a common point tested in GMAT....if yes then can someone please point me to a problem that tests this concept....

I checked Manhattan strategy guide of geometry....

But it does not talk about the tangents drawn from a common point concept....does it mean that properties of tangents drawn from a common point are not in the course of GMAT ?

Thanks
Mohit
I don't believe that this concept (i.e., if two lines are tangent to the same circle from a single point, the line segments from the point to the points of tangency have the same length) is tested on the GMAT. I've never seen a question requiring this.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:38 pm
Thanks Brent,

Can you please tell your opinion about the property "Tangent is perpendicular to base"...

is this tested in GMAT ? If yes, then can you please point me to a question so that I can understand how GMAT tests this concept.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:51 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:Thanks Brent,

Can you please tell your opinion about the property "Tangent is perpendicular to base"...

is this tested in GMAT ? If yes, then can you please point me to a question so that I can understand how GMAT tests this concept.
Yes you need to know that a tangent line will be perpedicular to a line drawn from the circle's center to the point of tangency. This theorem is noted in the OG, however I am hard pressed to recall a question that required this theorem. Anyone out there know of one?
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:06 pm
Many thanks Brent!!!!

Just posted two more queries realted to similar query what is tested in GMAT....can you please share your thoughts about the same ?

https://www.beatthegmat.com/is-sphere-es ... tml#190553
https://www.beatthegmat.com/relation-bet ... 45170.html