Syracuse vs Suny Buffalo

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Syracuse vs Suny Buffalo

by screamjack » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:46 pm
Hi, Everyone,

I recently received an admit to Syracuse University. I'm waiting for responses from about 7 more schools. Completed my interview with SUNY Buffalo and pretty confident that I should get it. However, I've received a scholarship offer of $50k from Syracuse which got me pretty excited. Is there anyone here who is currently studying at Whitman School of Management or anyone who has a clear idea of the experience at Syracuse? Would be great to hear from you! Also, Syracuse and SUNY Buffalo seem to be closely ranked everywhere. How do these two schools compare? My primary interests are in supply chain, marketing, and entrepreneurship. I will choose my specialization in the first semester. I am also awaiting responses from,

Case Western Reserve
Purdue
Kelley Indiana
University of San Diego
Northeastern D'Amore Mckim (Waitlisted me)
Bentley ELMBA

It's worth noting that my work experience will be around 2 years before I begin school. GMAT - 700, GPA - 7.42/10.

My primary motives for the MBA are to expand the family business (Coffee exports and gourmet coffee production for the retail market/e-commerce)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:59 pm
For more regional programs like the ones you are looking at, I would typically ask people where they want to be after graduation, since the network and employment opportunities will be strongest the closer you are to the campus. However, if your plan is to stay in the family business no matter what, I would go to Syracuse and take the cash! Good luck!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by screamjack » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:25 pm
Michael@VeritasPrep wrote:For more regional programs like the ones you are looking at, I would typically ask people where they want to be after graduation, since the network and employment opportunities will be strongest the closer you are to the campus. However, if your plan is to stay in the family business no matter what, I would go to Syracuse and take the cash! Good luck!
Thank you Michael. However, I do have plans to work for about three years in a company that deals with consumer products/marketing/supply chain management before I return to the family business in India. Syracuse is an average of 4.5 hours from philly, NYC, Cleveland, Baltimore, and a few other big cities. I know that's not in the immediate vicinity but do you think with the distance I will be able to find good internships and eventually a good job in any of the surrounding big cities?? Keeping in mind the 4.5 hour separation of course.

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Yea if you want to work in NYC after school, I would recommend Syracuse. Largely because of their stronger undergraduate program. You will find tons of Syracuse undergrad alumni in NYC. As an MBA graduate, hopefully you will be able to tap into that network to find your job after business school. Good luck to you!

by screamjack » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:06 am
Michael@VeritasPrep wrote:Yea if you want to work in NYC after school, I would recommend Syracuse. Largely because of their stronger undergraduate program. You will find tons of Syracuse undergrad alumni in NYC. As an MBA graduate, hopefully you will be able to tap into that network to find your job after business school. Good luck to you!
Hi, Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I have another query. I've received an admit to Case Western Reserve's Weatherhead School of Management. Considering that Supply Chain Management is my primary interest, how do you think Cleveland and Weatherhead compare against Syracuse? Which school has the better Supply Chain department and where will I find better job/internship opportunities in this field?

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:44 pm
Not sure which has a better supply chain department. Have you tried looking up their rankings. Even if Case Western is ranked higher, I think I would still lean Syracuse given the previous discussion.