Switching strenght from verbal to math and back again...

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
What does it mean if on my practice tests, my math is high on one and verbal is low.. then the next one it switches.. and so on.... I keep thinking if I took my hightest verbal and highest math from separate tests.. I'd be golden..

Does it alteast mean that I have the capability of scoring higher total on the real test day.. which consequently..is in less than one week!

by flo821 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Did this atleast happen to anyone else? Looking for any feedback for this post. Thanks. :?

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:39 pm
Not really, I started stronger in math and then became stronger in verbal and tt has remain this way...
Maybe you got an esier math part, and then and easier vebal part, who knows...is it plausible?
Isis Alaska

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:06 pm
It would help if you give some more concrete numbers about what you mean by "high" and "low." Our levels can vary somewhat from test to test just because we might get lucky and get more kinds of topics or questions we're good at on one test and then we get unlucky on another test and get more kinds of topics or questions we're bad at. So there's generally some level of variability. But it's unusual to, say, go from 20th percentile math and 70th percentile verbal to the reverse (70 math, 20 verbal) and then back again.

Also, were the tests from the same source or different ones?
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by flo821 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:35 am
You know, i don't have the exact #s in front of me and i'm actually taking the test tomorrow a.m... but i think it has to do w/ my concentration level.. on math vs. verbal.. sometimes i was more able to concentrate on verbal and sometimes math.. i hope this means i have the potential to score higher.. we shall see.. of course, i have a calculus test tonight first :idea: ugh. (there was snow in my area that made this rescheduled as so)...