Superlative noun

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Superlative noun

by rahulvsd » Sun May 20, 2012 8:18 pm
Robotics engineers are discovering that creating a machine that can carry out and coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously while operating in a dynamic and unpredictable environment, is the most difficult engineering challenge.

A. out and coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously while operating in a dynamic and unpredictable environment, is the most difficult engineering challenge
B. out and coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously while operating in an unpredictable and dynamic environment, is a most difficult of all engineering challenges
C. and coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously while operating in a dynamic and unpredictable environment, is the most difficult of all engineering challenges
D. out and coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously while operating in an environment that is both dynamic and unpredictable, is the most difficult of all engineering challenges
E. out and coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously while operating in a dynamic and unpredictable environment, is the most difficult of all engineering challenges

[spoiler]OA: E.[/spoiler] The reason why choice A is incorrect is given as follows: This answer choice is grammatically incorrect as it misuses the Superlative form indicated here by the use of the word most. The Superlative form requires that the group under comparison be defined. However, this answer choice does not provide information about the group of which the challenge is the most difficult.
In order for this Superlative to be complete, this group must be defined.

My doubt: Why do we need to define this group to complete the superlative?

It is correct to say: Aishwarya Rai is the most beautiful woman in the world. This actually means Aishwarya Rai is the most beautiful of all women in the world.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Sun May 20, 2012 11:48 pm
Valid Doubt.. I ended up with A, when left with A/E

Experts please help!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Mon May 21, 2012 7:07 am
B uses "a most difficult..." which does not make sense.

C drops the "out" which we need with "carry"

D uses "an environment that is both dynamic and unpredictable," which is overly wordy.

We can get to A and E pretty easily.

I actually don't like either of them. They both end with ", is the most difficult engineering challenge "...where does that comma come from?

I think the group is defined as "engineering challenges" in A, so I don't see a problem there.

What is the source of this question?
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Followed by:1 members

by rahulvsd » Mon May 21, 2012 9:57 am
I got this question in the free MasterGMAT test.

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Mon May 21, 2012 10:18 am
(A) for me.