Suggestions ~~

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Suggestions ~~

by Sues » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:26 am
Hi,

I gave my GMAT yesterday and scored 730( Q50, V39). I Hope V39 is a "not so bad" score.

Background - Indian, Female, 3years of experience, IT Consulting.
Good Acads through out.

Not too much into extracurricular activities after school.
I was a member of Rotaract Club during College and am a member of Social Group at the my work place.

I would like to go for General Management or Major in IT Consulting.

I need suggestions regarding which colleges I should target.

Thanks in advance,

Sue.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Suggestions ~~

by jelt » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:35 pm
Hi, I think that you could certainly target the top schools, although with these hugely competitive schools it'd all be about distinguishing yourself from everyone else and showing that you are indeed a well-rounded individual with a good reason to apply.

So if you really had to go to business school now, I would definitely apply to the top (Stanford, Harvard) general management schools as reach schools and maybe a few others as middle/ safety schools. When you search on the net, general management (rather than speciality schools like Wharton or Chicago) should be your main focus. If you want to know the difference between these two types of schools, check out the following link:

https://forums.prospero.com/wh-wharton/m ... msg=5943.1

If you don't really have to go right now, I'd work on strengthening those parts of your ap that need work (I'm sure u already know what they are- it sounds for instance u're not too confident about your extra-curriculars, and i'd be worried about being type-casted as 'just another IT consultant'). anyway, you should write a more detailed post with your profile on the "ask Stacy Blackman" forum, she can help you identify which areas really need work, and what you may want to do about them.
Sues wrote:Hi,

I gave my GMAT yesterday and scored 730( Q50, V39). I Hope V39 is a "not so bad" score.

Background - Indian, Female, 3years of experience, IT Consulting.
Good Acads through out.

Not too much into extracurricular activities after school.
I was a member of Rotaract Club during College and am a member of Social Group at the my work place.

I would like to go for General Management or Major in IT Consulting.

I need suggestions regarding which colleges I should target.

Thanks in advance,

Sue.

by Sues » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:35 am
Thanks Jelt.

I would like to apply now.I will have around 4years of experience by the time I join a school.

I will post my query on Ask Stacy Forum as well.

Thanks again!

Warm Regards,
Sue

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:31 am
Sure. I've just seen your profile, and I'd recommend for you to post something much more comprehensive so that Amy/Stacy can really help you more. When I posted my profile previously it was about a page long. If you say the usual things without details (this sch, this sch, that company, etc) without saying your exact responsibilities, your career progression, your exact GPA, exact sch, involvement in curriculars and so on, all Amy/Stacy will realistically be able to tell you is, in short:

'With your GMAT the top schools are reachable. But without knowing who you really are, I can't tell you anything further."

Think of it this way, if you applied to schools with you've told Amy/Stacy, they'll probably reject you in a heartbeat. You simply haven't given them enough to work with!

Just my two cents worth, esp. since if u want to apply this year you gotta get cracking ASAP.

Best!
Jason

by Sues » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:59 am
Very true Jason. :)

I would prepare a profile and post it asap for you and Amy.
Actually I am really lost at deciding which all schools to apply.

Thanks a ton for your replies!

Warm Regards,
Sues