Suggest some material for verbal !!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Suggest some material for verbal !!!

by akshatgupta87 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:37 pm
Hi All,

I gave GMAT today. Extremely frustrated...
Got 600( Q:49, V:22)
My lowest score till date... :( :(
Was expecting around 680...
Various test score results:
Knewton: 700 (Q:50, V:34
MGMAT 1: 680 (Q:48, V:34)
MGMAT 2: 680 (Q:47, V:35)
MGMAT 3: 680 (Q:49, V:34)
MGMAT 4: 590 (Q:47, V:25)
MGMAT 5: 660 (Q:50, V:32)
MGMAT 6: 650 (Q:50, V:31)
GMAT Prep1: 640 (Q:47, V:29)
GMAT Prep2:640 (Q:50, V:25)

Material covered for Verbal:
1) OG 12
2) Verbal 2nd review
3) SC MGMAT Guide
4) Kaplan Comprehensive
5) Spidey's SC Notes

Material Covered for Quant:
1) OG 12
2) Quant 2nd review
3) Kaplan Comprehensive
4) Kaplan 800
5) MGMAT Complete Set

Although I'm satisfied with my Quant score, just a little bit of improvement will land me in the 50 range.
Thinking of doing 700+ level questions.

Can someone suggest me what can be done for verbal as I'm totally clueless & confused...
Please help me as I'm planning to take my 2nd attempt after 3 months..
Any extra material for verbal and strategy which could be used?

Thanks in Advance,
~Akshat

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:51 pm
You see that your Verbal score is within the range of your scores on the GMATPrep Test. To move from a 25 to a 22 is a matter of a few questions only. The MGMAT tests may have given you a false sense of security. Unofficial verbal questions can sometimes different things than the official questions will.

Spidey's notes: I think that these could be very useful for a certain type of person pursuing a certain objective. But I am not sure that this objective is the GMAT. I know that these are famous notes and that Spidey scored well, but that may have been almost in spite of these detailed notes. I know that everyone wants to do all that they can when studying for the test and that people lose sleep imagining some verb form they have not studied, but I have a different thought.

Please ask yourself, "why do they have certain subjects on the GMAT?" Do you really think that they care that you know each of these tiny items? The GMAT is concerned about your logic and your decision-making ability and of course the way that you cope with pressure, including time pressure.

I recommend that you take a hard look at how you are attacking the verbal section. You can score pretty well on the Quant by memorizing or simply knowing the various math rules. Of course you have to also have an efficient strategy. But the difference between things that you memorize in math and in sentence correction is this. The formulas in math are a way to solve the problem. They are not mere facts. If you know how to combine exponents or how to deal with similar triangles then you have a way forward. This is not true with sentence correction. Memorizing idioms is not a strategy!

What is your strategy in sentence correction? Do you look past the irrelevant parts of the sentence? Do you focus on the parts of the sentence that matter? Do you ask yourself, "is this modifier logical?"

What about critical reasoning? What do you focus on there? Do you get caught up in the details of the premises only to overlook important words in the conclusion?

I am not sure that what you need is simply more material. I suggest that you start with some flow charts. When you see a critical reasoning problem you do this every time. When it is a weaken question you then do this, etc. Document your procedures and see if they make sense and give you the same level of confidence you have on the Quant section

If you can understand the word problems in the Quant section well enough to score a 49, I think you can do well on the verbal. I do not know you personally and I may be wrong, but consider the possibility that you have a confident strategy on the Quant section and that perhaps on the verbal section you may not. Please let me know if I am wrong about this...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course