Starting prep... just checking first

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Starting prep... just checking first

by tammybg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:29 pm
Hey,

Alright I'm going to start my self-study GMAT prep. First of all, my target score is 700+.
After reading several posts, especially the ones from the highest scorers, these are the books I came up with.
I wanna check if the list is right.

- The 8 MGMAT prep guides
- OG verbal, math and review 12
- Kaplan Math and Verbal workbooks
- Veritas prep combinatorics and probability
- The powerscore GMAT critical reasoning bible
- Princeton Review cracking the GMAT (I really need to get familiarized with the test and will probably start with this one)
- Kaplan GMAT 800 (read that it was good for people trying to get 700+)
- Veritas prep Reading Comprehension

I really need to get a good score and by the looks of the first GMATprep1 test I took (in which I got 530) I really need to review my stuff (although I didn't really know the test or prepared anything before I took this one).
Anyway before I buy the books I really need to check if there's anything else I should get or anything on that list I should NOT get. PLEASE HELPPP!
Thanks guys!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:36 pm
Hi,

If you're going to get the powerscore CR bible, you don't need the Manhattan GMAT CR guide ( I don't think its that good). Also, you don't need the MGMAT Reading Comp, the Veritas one is the best RC guide. I also, wouldn't buy the Kaplan materials, they really aren't that good. I wouldn't buy the Princeton Review book. If you want to start with it, see if the library has it, because its not worth buying. After you move on from it, its not a book that you will ever reference again at any point in your prep. Other than that your list is solid. Good luck.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:57 pm
Agreed with osirus, and I also suggest that you can probably pass on Veritas prep combinatorics and probability. I have both Veritas prep combinatorics and probability and MGMAT Word Problems. MGMAT Word Problems covers most of the materials in Veritas prep combinatorics and probability, and Veritas prep combinatorics and probability is pretty expensive at $30. Also consider the fact that you probably won't see more than 1 question on the two topics, if any, you are better off investing that effort into topics that do show up with consistency.

Not sure if you'll need the Kaplan Math/Verbal workbooks if you already have MGMAT.

by tammybg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:48 pm
Thanks for the advice guys. It's been more than helpful. Now buying the books is a lot cheaper than it was before.
Thanks! Wish me luck!!

by tammybg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:03 pm
Guys quick question, which of the books that I listed above deals with the topic of data sufficiency?
I was in Amazon and there's this book "veritas prep data sufficiency" and now I'm not sure if I should get this one too.

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:10 pm
One of the biggest mistakes for a lot of test takers (including myself) is getting countless books, but never have the chance to read them all! My suggestion to you is to pick up maybe 1 or 2 books, FINISH THEM, then pick up more. This way you're not pressured to move on to the next book before you're actually done with the one you're reading.

So to answer your question, I think you should read the books on your list before you pick up any DS book. If after reading all the books on your list and you still feel that you're weak in DS, then pick it up.

by tammybg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:13 pm
You know the problem is that I have to get this books on amazon and ship them to Colombia which ends up being VERY expensive. So in order to keep things from getting too expensive I need to buy everything and once. So do you thin the veritas data sufficiency is good or is this topic in some of the other books I listed above?
Thanks for the advice though, I will make sure to put away some of the books and try not to push myself too hard.

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:20 pm
Osirus knows Veritas and swears by them. I don't know much about them, so maybe we should ask Osirus =).