soldiers were awarded

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

soldiers were awarded

by rx_11 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:45 pm
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded "• some of them posthumously "• with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation's highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A.with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation's highest military award, and which was long overdue in
B.with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award for long-overdue
C.the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation's highest military award, long-overdue in
D.the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award for long-overdue
E.the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award, in long-overdue

Hi, everyone,
What's your answer with this problem?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:48 pm
rx_11 wrote:More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded "• some of them posthumously "• with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation's highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A.with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation's highest military award, and which was long overdue in
B.with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award for long-overdue
C.the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation's highest military award, long-overdue in
D.the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award for long-overdue
E.the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award, in long-overdue

Hi, everyone,
What's your answer with this problem?
IMO D.
Awarded with is incorrect. D corrects this and also explains what for the award was given, in clear manner.
OA ?
Hope is the dream of a man awake

by rx_11 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:08 pm
Hi, beat_gmat_09

The OA is E

I don't understand why E is correct, and I even cannot understand what the role does "in recognition of their outstanding bravery" play in the sentense. Is that an adv modifier or noun modifier? Hope experts can make some explanations.

by rx_11 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:34 am
Any experts can give some explanations???

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:51 am
rx_11 wrote:Hi, beat_gmat_09

The OA is E

I don't understand why E is correct, and I even cannot understand what the role does "in recognition of their outstanding bravery" play in the sentence. Is that an adv modifier or noun modifier? Hope experts can make some explanations.
I'd say that it is an adverbial phrase - it modified the verb "awarded", and answers the question "why was this medal awarded?". technically, it should be as close to the verb as possible, but the verb "awarded" requires its direct object "the congressional medal of honor": first tell me what was awarded, then tell me why.

In any case, E is fine: I give you this medal in recognition of your achievements"

D (and also B) is eliminated for illogical meaning - if we place the long-overdue adjective after "for", it becomes part of what the medal is given for. Thus, D and B seem to suggest that the purpose of the medal is to always award long overdue recognitions - which doesn't make sense.
A and C are eliminated mostly because of a tense problem - the congressional medal of honor still IS the nation's highest military award, presumably, so the use of the past tense "was" is incorrect.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:720

by rishab1988 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:29 am
Geva pretty much nailed it.I eliminated D for same reason.

It's illogical to say the nation's highest military award is ,usually,awarded when the soldiers's recognition is overdue.

The sentence instead intends to say that the Medal that was awarded to the soldiers was long overdue for the bravery they showed in the Second World war.

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 pm
I initially selected D, because I thought that 'for' was better than 'in' within the context of the sentence. Now that I've read the explanations, I know how I erred.
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.

by rishab1988 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:13 pm
tomada wrote:I initially selected D, because I thought that 'for' was better than 'in' within the context of the sentence. Now that I've read the explanations, I know how I erred.
I am a non-native speaker.You might be a native speaker! But you say "where I erred".Just a way to improve your SC.:)

Followed by:1 members

by ov25 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:22 pm
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded "• some of them posthumously "• with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award, in long-overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Geva,
Can you please throw some light on whether 'awarded the medal' vs 'awarded with the medal' is better/correct/concise?

by rishab1988 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm
awarded medal is a better and concise construction.

Stylistically speaking,you say:

Mr X was awarded the Nobel prize today.

award -Oxford dictionary usage

verb

give or order the giving of (something) as an official payment, compensation, or prize to (someone):

he was awarded the Military Cross
a 3.5 per cent pay rise was awarded to staff
grant or assign (a contract or commission) to (a person or organization).

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 am
Geva@MasterGMAT wrote:
rx_11 wrote:Hi, beat_gmat_09

The OA is E

I don't understand why E is correct, and I even cannot understand what the role does "in recognition of their outstanding bravery" play in the sentence. Is that an adv modifier or noun modifier? Hope experts can make some explanations.
I'd say that it is an adverbial phrase - it modified the verb "awarded", and answers the question "why was this medal awarded?". technically, it should be as close to the verb as possible, but the verb "awarded" requires its direct object "the congressional medal of honor": first tell me what was awarded, then tell me why.

In any case, E is fine: I give you this medal in recognition of your achievements"

D (and also B) is eliminated for illogical meaning - if we place the long-overdue adjective after "for", it becomes part of what the medal is given for. Thus, D and B seem to suggest that the purpose of the medal is to always award long overdue recognitions - which doesn't make sense.
A and C are eliminated mostly because of a tense problem - the congressional medal of honor still IS the nation's highest military award, presumably, so the use of the past tense "was" is incorrect.
Hi Geva,
From what I understand, long-overdue is modifying recognition in the correct answer choice..

Please let me know whether my understanding is correct.
Regards,
Sach

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650

by bpolley00 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 am
Hey everyone, I got E in about 45 seconds. I will do my best to explain how I went through each mentally:

First of all, some things to consider as soon as you see the answers. What are the answer choices main differences? First, you have to make a choice between awarded THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL or with the congressional medal. Awarded the congressional Medal is more concise and doesn't diminish the meaning of the sentence. A and B are gone. Second, it appears you have to use commas correctly to make the sentence mean what it is intended to mean.
C)if you remove the which was the nations highest military award modifier the sentence doesn't make any sense
D) "the nation's highest military award for long-overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery. This is obviously wrong as the the nations highest military award is not awarded for long-over due recognition of their bravery. There is also no pronoun subject agreement between their and African American soldiers. In this sentence their would be referring to all the people whoever recieved the nations highest military award, the medal of honor.
E) Correct use of the congresional medal of honor,Sensical, modifier is placed correctly, if you remove the modifier mentally the sentence still makes sense. CORRECT

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded "• some of them posthumously "• with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation's highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Hope that helps

-BP

by alanforde800Maximus » Fri May 25, 2018 3:56 am
Bumping for experts review.