Smart Drugs. Supplements. Boosting cognitive abilities.

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
There is a lot of talk obviously about which books to follow and what prep course to take etc but I havent read any mention of supplements or anything else that would help a person to stay focused, alert, motivated etc. Hence I will be sharing some of my own here.

1. Piracetam is from the racetam family and like all the other forms work! It is not a miracle overnight thing and its not addictive. What will it do for you? Within about a week you will start noticing that you can stay focused longer, your sharper, overall you feel less drained, overall better mood and your scores will definately go up. Yes it will help you absorb information quicker, process it quicker and recall it quicker and clearer. However obviously you still need to study and put in the effort but you will notice the clearity, focus and increase i your cognitive abilities and stamina.
Proven in numerous studies to work.

2. Vinpocetine. Increases blood flow and hence nutrients oxygen etc. Again proven to help.

3. Huperzine A. Helps with cognitive abilities and protects protects the brain whilst also increasing growth factors.

4. Choline in its various forms best of them being Choline Citrate and Alpha GPC. This is an essential building block and must definately be used with above. Its a prevursor to the neuro transmitter acetylcholine but the above especially racetams need it. This in conjunction with the above work quite synergistically.

Just taking the above 4 you will begin to "feel" the benefits coming on within a week. If you really want to see the difference get baselines just like we do for our gmat prep so that you can see and measure the increase in your abilities.
They are even used to help with degenerative diseases and are proven to work even in healthy people. And best yet is long term use of 6-12months shows results and changes within the brain that last years later.

6. the "drugs" such as ritalin(stimulant), adderal, provigil. Best of these with least side effects jitteriness and crashing etc is provigil(modafinil). Though it doesnt technically make you "smarter" on its own it does allow you to for example sleep 3 hours a day and feel like you just woke up from a 10hour sleep fully rested and ready to go more. Hence you could stay awake longer which means longer studying time. Though strictly not addictive it can be habit forming if abused over a long period of time.

7.Caffeine, Guarana etc. We all know about this so no need for an explanation.

8. Fish oil, Lecithin, Omega 3s and 6s. Self explanatory and good for you.

9. Good multivitamins and lots of vitamin c.

10. Idebonone which helps like the omegas overall in the long term and is good for you.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:490

by tuscan21 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 pm
Fish oil (of very good quality) , 4-5 cups of green tea and -if one doesn't consume many fruits like kiwis or oranges, a supplement of vitamin C with Quercetin, along with moderate exercise.

by mousymouse » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 am
tuscan21 wrote:Fish oil, 4-5 cups of green tea and -if one doesn't consume many fruits like kiwis or oranges, a supplement of vitamin C with Quercetin.

all the latest research shows that you cant NATURALLY AND REALISTICALLY consume enough Vitamin C in a day. Vitamin C is now shown to be extremely important in almost everything.
eg research shows that consuming 1500mg+ vitamin c daily will reduce chances of gout by 45+ percent, dramatically increase immune system health, collagen production, adrenal gland functioning, healing, bone and teeth density and strength and is a powerful and needed antioxidant. of course you would need to consume it in intervals during a day rather than 1 single dose.

by fltingley » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:01 pm
I generally prefer taking Melange, the spice drug of Arrakis, before I study.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by yogami » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:35 pm
OKay this is a little cheesy but I am not recommending this to anybody ...just a funny experience I had where I aced my verbal but bombed in quant when I got high and took a practice test ;) My RC hit rate was 100%.
Its the opposite when I take the test normally...I ace quant and suck in verbal.
200 or 800. It don't matter no more.

by skang357 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:56 pm
yogami wrote:OKay this is a little cheesy but I am not recommending this to anybody ...just a funny experience I had where I aced my verbal but bombed in quant when I got high and took a practice test ;) My RC hit rate was 100%.
Its the opposite when I take the test normally...I ace quant and suck in verbal.
Seriously, if that works for you it's a good thing that the V section comes after the Q section and there is a 10 minute break in between.
Impossible is nothing

by yogami » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:10 am
LMAO.. For me it will be an unforgettable journey if I do it in the break. Soon I will be writing an essay titled "From ETS to Jail"
200 or 800. It don't matter no more.