smallpox

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

smallpox

by logitech » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:06 am
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to
pursue what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

A. what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as
B. what they had not previously considered a possibility -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections like
C. something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections as
D. something not considered a previous possibility -- better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as
E. the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible – better control and possibly eradication of infections like

OA after discussion.
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:10 am
A, between A and C.

i believe we need 'such as' here. A uses the word 'other diseases' that makes me choose A over C when seeing from a meaning perspective. from a concision perspective, i would have chosen C because the extra 'the' in A looks mighty awkward.
Last edited by niraj_a on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by ronniecoleman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:13 am
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to
pursue what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

A. what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

what they had --- i find it awkward and strong assertion

B. what they had not previously considered a possibility -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections like

OUT like should not be used

C. something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

Correct

D. something not considered a previous possibility -- better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

Perhaps eradication ---changes the meaning

E. the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible – better control and possibly eradication of infections like

OUT-- like should not be used
Admission champion, Hauz khaz
011-27565856

Legendary Member

by logitech » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:35 am
OA C
LGTCH
---------------------

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:06 pm
any ideas why that OA logitech? is it coz GMAT hates 'what' ?
Last edited by niraj_a on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by logitech » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm
https://www.beatthegmat.com/smallpox-t23 ... ht=measles

Read Ron's explanation.

RON RULES!

Mals24 is also bringing her magic to this problem.
LGTCH
---------------------

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Onell » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:41 pm
Why is past perfect had previously considered correct?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:47 am
Onell wrote:Why is past perfect had previously considered correct?
Answer choice C:
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue something they had not previously considered possible.

Action in the past:
The success...has stimulated experts to pursue.
The present perfect implies a past action that affects the present. Thus, sometime in the past, the success with smallpox stimulated experts to pursue better control of other diseases.

Action even further in the past:
...something they had not previously considered possible.
Previously, the experts had not considered better control possible, but then this action stopped: clearly, the experts DID consider better control possible when they were stimulated to pursue it.

Putting it all together:

The success has stimulated experts to pursue...something they had not previously considered possible.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:14 members

by divya23 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:56 am
imo c
gmat prep question :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat062011 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:34 pm
Hi GMATGuruNY

Why option A (what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as ) is wrong.

is it because of option A, has 'what' ?

Please help to understand.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:20 pm
gmat062011 wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY

Why option A (what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as ) is wrong.

In A, the is too specific: what are THE other infections? Since we don't know -- the sentence gives only two examples, not the whole list -- the word the is inappropriate.

Another issue: the word what suggests that better control is the ONLY thing that the scientists had not previously considered possible. The intended meaning is that better control is something -- not the only thing -- that the scientists had not previously considered possible.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Onell » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:13 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

In A, the is too specific: what are THE other infections? Since we don't know -- the sentence gives only two examples, not the whole list -- the word the is inappropriate.

Another issue: the word what suggests that better control is the ONLY thing that the scientists had not previously considered possible. The intended meaning is that better control is something -- not the only thing -- that the scientists had not previously considered possible.
how can we justify the use of past perfect here (had considered)... Please explain

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:39 am
Onell wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

how can we justify the use of past perfect here (had considered)... Please explain
Please see my first post, in which I explain why the past perfect is justified.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:40 am
have done never goes with past tense

why inhere

have done gose with had done.

strange???? I am confused.

maybe Mintch Hunt's explanation is correct.