Slightly Older Non-Traditional MBA Hopeful - Test Scores

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I just took the GMAT & scored really low (Q25 / V36). I'm looking for advice/suggestions.

I am a 33rd year-old male, non-traditional student I suppose as my undergraduate degrees are in art history, English, and graphic design, and I have 10 years work experience--4 in outside sales & 6 in marketing--currently hold marketing director position for a small business. I have two bachelors degrees--GPA 3.2 first time, 3.7 second time--first from a top tier university & second from a good art school.

Applying to part-time programs at Stern & Zicklin for marketing concentration. Was hoping to submit my applications in the next few days for the fall deadline, but now reconsidering since my low scores. Stern also accepts GRE (my scores Q550/ V640). I feel like my GMAT score is just way too low for a chance at Stern, and possibly Zicklin, too. Should I now wait, retake the test over the summer & apply for the spring semester? Or, should I just hope for a miracle & submit my application for fall anyway? Any advice appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue May 10, 2011 6:36 am
I think the best thing to do is try to speak with someone from Admissions at Stern & Zicklin. They're really in the best position to give advice.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by joechap » Tue May 10, 2011 3:54 pm
Thank you, Brent. I just sent a query to both programs explaining my situation & asking if I would still be a viable candidate, or if it just makes more sense to retake the GMAT & apply for the spring 2012 semester instead.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Joe

by joechap » Wed May 11, 2011 8:55 am
Oh well, admissions at Stern just said "use your best judgement"...doesn't really help so much, but not sure what else they could really say.

I think I will apply for fall 2011 anyway & then reapply for spring 2012 (with a new test score) if not admitted.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Thu May 19, 2011 2:09 pm
Hey JoeChap,

I'm curious to know if you ended up applying.

Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.