Simpler Solution?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Simpler Solution?

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:13 pm
At a certain convenience store, the revenue from Brand A hot dogs decreased by 5% from April to May, while the revenue from Brand B hot dogs increased by 5% from April to May. The revenue from Brand A in May was what percentage of the revenue from Brand B in April?

(1) The increase in revenue from Brand B was 19/20 the decrease in revenue from Brand A.

(2) The revenue in April from Brand A was equal to 20/19 the revenue in April from Brand B.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by kuzzden » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:51 am
it seems that the answer should be B

In order to calculate the precentage of one from another we need to know both revenues A in May and B in April

(1) gives us the differences but the bases for them can be of any value, so Insufficient
(2) assuming revenue B in April was X, revenue A in April = 20/19X and rev A in May = 95/100 * 20/19*X = X. Now we can find the percentage: X/X = 1 or 100%.
Ans B
The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:22 am
[email protected] wrote:At a certain convenience store, the revenue from Brand A hot dogs decreased by 5% from April to May, while the revenue from Brand B hot dogs increased by 5% from April to May. The revenue from Brand A in May was what percentage of the revenue from Brand B in April?

(1) The increase in revenue from Brand B was 19/20 the decrease in revenue from Brand A.

(2) The revenue in April from Brand A was equal to 20/19 the revenue in April from Brand B.
April:
Let A = Brand A's revenue.
Let B = Brand B's revenue.

May:
Decrease in Brand A's revenue = 0.05A.
Increase in Brand B's revenue = 0.05B.
Brand A's resulting revenue = (0.95)A.

The revenue from Brand A in May was what percentage of the revenue from Brand B in April?
(brand A's revenue in May)/(brand B's revenue in April) = (.95A)/B = .95(A/B).

Question stem rephrased: What is the value of A/B?

Statement 1: The increase in revenue from Brand B was 19/20 the decrease in revenue from Brand A.
(0.05)B = (19/20)(0.05)A.
Since we can solve for A/B, SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: The revenue in April from Brand A was equal to 20/19 the revenue in April from Brand B.
A = (20/19)B.
Since we can solve for A/B, SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3