Should I join Schulich program?

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

Should I join Schulich program?

by goddy » Mon May 16, 2011 2:45 am
Profile: 710/Indian(working in London,UK)/4 exp. Research/IT + Consultant/Banking
Ambition: Domain change to Health care and related sectors

I am pursuing some online health care IT courses to create a theoretical foundation for my ideas.

I am concerned about health care job opportunities in Canada and if I would be able to advance my career in that domain without having a previous work experience.

Spending 90K and not able to achieve my goal despite all the hard work and ideas and then compromising to take up another job to repay the loan are more reasons causing concern.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by MahtabAlam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:55 am
Hey,
I live in Toronto so I can tell you about some of the schools in here. Schulich is a great business school but I think Rotman is better. And if you are aiming for top Canadian schools, I would suggest applying to Richard Ivey or Queen's MBA program.

I can't help provide much info about health sector. I do have two friends who are in 3rd year Life Science at U of T and they haven't been finding internships related to their career so I guess it is kind of tough.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by goddy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:59 am
MahtabAlam

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

by MahtabAlam » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:33 am
No problem! Any time.
Follow my 3 month GMAT PREP Journey at www.mahtabalam.com/blog

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:18 pm
Quite honestly, if you are not already in the health sector, it will be hard to find job in that field. At the same time, if you are really passionate about something, I think you will make it anywhere.

In regards to Rotman is better, I disagree. I think both schools are evenly matched and attending one over the other will not give any meaningful advantage. Rotman is at UofT which attracts a lot of people just because their diploma will say University of Toronto. In reality, both schools are moving quite different, yet equally exciting, directions. As far as Ivey and Queens, they are totally different and not suited for someone who is a career switcher like yourself, because there will be no internship opportunity. Although Queens and Ivey have very robust alumni networks, the size of the alumni is much smaller in comparison to Rotman or Schulich. I think its something to consider.

by tanvin2003 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 am
I got chance in Queen's Master of Finance program. However I am confused regarding whether I should choose the Schulich Master of Finance program or Queen's Master of Finance program? Please advise.