Should I incorporate my personal blog into my application?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
For most schools, I would probably assume no, but since I'm applying to Stern as a music industry professional who intends to take advantage of the school's Media & Entertainment and Entrepreneurial programs I am reconsidering.

I'd love a second opinion.

Feel free to check it out: https://takecarepinkelephant.com/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

by humblebee » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:49 pm
I probably wouldn't do it unless it was a blog with a huge following e.g. (for the lack of a relevant US example, forgive me I'm an Aussie) Perez Hilton. Certainly mention it if you want to, but unless your blog has significant social credit, then I wouldn't be calling it out as an achievement worth writing about or citing.

Right now, my off the cuff visual of the blog tells me it look like a hobby blog i.e. it's not done for professional reasons. So I probably wouldn't include it in a significant way in your application.
wannabe business school consultant

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by aveekguha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:26 am
I would go for it, provided it has some meaningful opinion on either professional matters or showcases a personality that pops. It would have to be distinct in that regard, not just a listing of things that you randomly blogged about.

I think it adds a human element that can be quite a positive, if the content is good.

Good luck,
Aveek Guha, President, www.mbadaycamp.com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:24 am
As long as you are fine with an Adcom member reading your blog (that there is nothing too personal and that the language is clean/good, etc.) then I do think you should list it on your resume (in your "additional" or "personal" category). One line is sufficient - just something to summarize the content and perhaps how long you have been doing it and how active it is. You wouldn't need to list the name of the blog (unless you really want someone to read it!), but, keep in mind that someone could probably find it if they wanted to.

It is possible that there is an essay question which would allow you to introduce that you have a blog and that would be appropriate as well. It is something that you spend time on and something that is important to you so I don't see any reason not to include it!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options