Shocked !!! Need help

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Shocked !!! Need help

by nikhilkatira » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:41 am
I gave my GMAT today and was shocked to see my score i.e. ONLY 600 ( v 27, Q 45)

My mock tests score:
MGMAT 1 670
MGMAT 2 660
MGMAT 3 640
MGMAT 4 700
MGMAT 5 700
MGMAT 6 690 ( 2 days before main test)

GMAT PREP 1 650
GMAT PREP 2 670
GMAT PREP 3 700

Guys people give me solutions. I don't know what went wrong.
Also there was no pressure or nervous breakdown.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mbamaverick » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:22 am
Sounds like you had final test jitters. If I were you, I would take the test again.

Followed by:3 members

by kaulnikhil » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:26 am
Sailing in the same boat... scored 740 in preps and 580 actual. I too never had any sort of pressure when I was writing the exam . Guess my overconfidence killed me. .. Dont loose hope, give it another shot. Try changing the way you study eg. for SC you got to know why the other four answers are wrong. Similarly for CR try to solve them within 1.40 min. Time yourself for whatever you do.
Have faith in yourself and start studying for it again.

by nikhilkatira » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:42 pm
kaulnikhil wrote:Sailing in the same boat... scored 740 in preps and 580 actual. I too never had any sort of pressure when I was writing the exam . Guess my overconfidence killed me. .. Dont loose hope, give it another shot. Try changing the way you study eg. for SC you got to know why the other four answers are wrong. Similarly for CR try to solve them within 1.40 min. Time yourself for whatever you do.

Thanks Nikhil for your motivation..
But GMAT has become tough... the Mgmat and OG material are no were close to the actual GMAT..

I have done OG 12, Quant and Verbal reviews, Manhattan SC and CR, Manhattan word translation, geometry and VIC.

And surprisingly MGMAT tests are no where close to the verbal section in actual gmat.
the content of RC passages is really tough as compared to that of MGMAT.
Also in actual GMAT, the CR answer choices are very close.

by kaulnikhil » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:07 am
nikhilkatira wrote:
kaulnikhil wrote:Sailing in the same boat... scored 740 in preps and 580 actual. I too never had any sort of pressure when I was writing the exam . Guess my overconfidence killed me. .. Dont loose hope, give it another shot. Try changing the way you study eg. for SC you got to know why the other four answers are wrong. Similarly for CR try to solve them within 1.40 min. Time yourself for whatever you do.

Thanks Nikhil for your motivation..
But GMAT has become tough... the Mgmat and OG material are no were close to the actual GMAT..

I have done OG 12, Quant and Verbal reviews, Manhattan SC and CR, Manhattan word translation, geometry and VIC.

And surprisingly MGMAT tests are no where close to the verbal section in actual gmat.
the content of RC passages is really tough as compared to that of MGMAT.
Also in actual GMAT, the CR answer choices are very close.
There are tones of stories of people who don't do so well in the first attempt and score pretty well in the next attempt. Failure is just a part of success. Start doing LSAT CR and LSAT RC . They are tougher and give you a good practise. Give it a shot again and I am sure you will do well.

Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:36 pm
nikhilkatira wrote:I gave my GMAT today and was shocked to see my score i.e. ONLY 600 ( v 27, Q 45)

My mock tests score:
MGMAT 1 670
MGMAT 2 660
MGMAT 3 640
MGMAT 4 700
MGMAT 5 700
MGMAT 6 690 ( 2 days before main test)

GMAT PREP 1 650
GMAT PREP 2 670
GMAT PREP 3 700

Guys people give me solutions. I don't know what went wrong.
Also there was no pressure or nervous breakdown.
This happens because of high expecation from self because in practice you were able to touch 700. You should have atleast score 6-7 times in the range of 700 then you would not face this thing. In human, level of concentration varies a lot and that's why sometimes we perform outstanding without any special effort. In order to make that special level of concentration a permanent feature of mind, practice is the best tool. After GMAT prep 3 your score was supposed to dip at least 20-30 and if would practice more then was supposed to rise again beyond 700 and that level will have stability which would make actual 700+ score in exam.
THE SOLUTION:
Score 10 times 700+ in home practice with actual exam conditions you will be over 730 in actual exam. Make sure don't repeat the same question and don't do 3 test consecutively. Try with random techniques like prepare on a day and next day go for sopping, movie or party and come back and sit for practice test and then see your competency.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ct799 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:00 am
I actually had a similar experience. Although i have been scoring above 650 and up to 700 with my last 4 CATs being 680, 680, 680 and 700 i somehow managed to get a 600.

I am greatly disappointed because i have put some serious effort. Nevertheless, i am going to repeat it after a month or two focusing even more on my weaknesses (e.g. Verbal section) and try to get more 700s. As soon as i manage this i will schedule the real thing and do my best.

I have already lost the second round but anyway, i have learned in my life to always do my best whatever obstacles i face :)

:)

by nikhilkatira » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:14 pm
ct799 wrote:I actually had a similar experience. Although i have been scoring above 650 and up to 700 with my last 4 CATs being 680, 680, 680 and 700 i somehow managed to get a 600.

I am greatly disappointed because i have put some serious effort. Nevertheless, i am going to repeat it after a month or two focusing even more on my weaknesses (e.g. Verbal section) and try to get more 700s. As soon as i manage this i will schedule the real thing and do my best.

I have already lost the second round but anyway, i have learned in my life to always do my best whatever obstacles i face :)

:)
I am also worried abt the same issue. SO are you planning to apply in third round or nxt year ?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by munaf » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 pm
Guys i am in the same boat as well

I scored in the range of 610 to 680 on the practise tests(MGMAT and Gprep). I always felt like MGMAT SC is easier.Maths more time consuming.
On the actual GMAT i fellt lost in the english section SC was much tougher than ever thought. Maths was more tricky. Felt like the GMAT has become more tougher. was hoping a 650 plus score but was shocked to see a dismal 570 (42Q 27V).
In maths i got two probability questions.I was sure that i solved one of them correctly.that gave me a bit confidence.But then a string of difficult co-ordinate geometry problems.Slopes involving lot of algebraic eqns.
I felt lost in the english section.In practise my hit rate for SC was more than 80%.but on actual test i was never confident for some of the questions. RC was my weak link.

tips for improving the score are welcome

by nikhilkatira » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:27 am
munaf wrote:Guys i am in the same boat as well

I scored in the range of 610 to 680 on the practise tests(MGMAT and Gprep). I always felt like MGMAT SC is easier.Maths more time consuming.
On the actual GMAT i fellt lost in the english section SC was much tougher than ever thought. Maths was more tricky. Felt like the GMAT has become more tougher. was hoping a 650 plus score but was shocked to see a dismal 570 (42Q 27V).
In maths i got two probability questions.I was sure that i solved one of them correctly.that gave me a bit confidence.But then a string of difficult co-ordinate geometry problems.Slopes involving lot of algebraic eqns.
I felt lost in the english section.In practise my hit rate for SC was more than 80%.but on actual test i was never confident for some of the questions. RC was my weak link.

tips for improving the score are welcome
When r u planning ur next attempt ?

by nikhilkatira » Mon May 10, 2010 10:28 pm
Guys Please suggest me mocks test apart from MGMAT tests.

by kaulnikhil » Tue May 11, 2010 2:33 am
nikhilkatira wrote:Guys Please suggest me mocks test apart from MGMAT tests.
Try Princeton , their Quant section is not that difficult but Verbal is somewhat close to GMAT. Also their scoring is somewhat awkward. Even if you get 5-7 wrong your score will be drastically lowered. Hence they help you to stay agile

Also you can give free MOCK test at Knewton . I found their tests an exact replica of GMAT Prep.

I am also looking at possibility of giving tests from 800 score .But have got mixed reviews so am still dicey.

by nikhilkatira » Tue May 11, 2010 2:49 am
kaulnikhil wrote:
Try Princeton , their Quant section is not that difficult but Verbal is somewhat close to GMAT. Also their scoring is somewhat awkward. Even if you get 5-7 wrong your score will be drastically lowered. Hence they help you to stay agile

Also you can give free MOCK test at Knewton . I found their tests an exact replica of GMAT Prep.

I am also looking at possibility of giving tests from 800 score .But have got mixed reviews so am still dicey.
thanx nikhil for your suggestion...i am also in the same situation for 800score tests.

BTW when are you planning to take the gmat again ??

by kaulnikhil » Tue May 11, 2010 4:39 am
nikhilkatira wrote:
kaulnikhil wrote:

thanx nikhil for your suggestion...i am also in the same situation for 800score tests.

BTW when are you planning to take the gmat again ??
Mostly this month ..

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:15 am
i feel your pain
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants