ship

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

ship

by ketkoag » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:38 am
Because the enemy’s new ship is the quietest and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed by the military as a threat to security.

(C) and therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed

(E) therefore being the most elusive of submarines, it is increasingly viewed

Please explain what is the difference between C and E.. i mean i selected the right option but wanna know the exact meaning of the 2 statements..

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: ship

by Vemuri » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:26 am
IMO C.

We need a conjuction "and" to separate the 2 clauses. Also, E uses the word "being", which GMAT does not prefer most of the times .

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

Re: ship

by rahulg83 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:02 am
ketkoag wrote:Because the enemy’s new ship is the quietest and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed by the military as a threat to security.

(C) and therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed

(E) therefore being the most elusive of submarines, it is increasingly viewed

Please explain what is the difference between C and E.. i mean i selected the right option but wanna know the exact meaning of the 2 statements..
@vemuri being is used in both the sentences :P
C is correct in my opinion because ship is x and therefore it is Y, i mean to say it is the cause and effect relationship.
Option E sounds that ship is most elusive not because it is quietest, but for some other reason. It somewhat distorts the original meaning