Sharing my GMAT experience - Score 700

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Sharing my GMAT experience - Score 700

by ynpprep » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:17 pm
Hello everyone,

I have an engineering degree and a masters degree. I decided to give GMAT in 2016. I had heard from my friends that GMAT was a mind grueling test and I will need a lot of preparation. My target was to score 700+. To get different perspectives and variety, I enrolled into two courses, Veritas Prep and e-GMAT. Veritas Prep provided 10+ mock tests which was more than sufficient. e-GMAT provided individual skill set competency tests which was great way to understand weaknesses.

I scored only 590 in my first mock test, but I could see that I was just not prepared for a 4 hours test, was very slow and hence did heavy guess work.
Data sufficiency was particularly challenging with all the number system properties and geometry. I used to waste lot of time on Sentence Correction and Critical reasoning to select between the last two finalists. And I was not used to reading socio-economic articles.

I found both the courses excellent source of material and strategies. I especially enjoyed DS, SC and CR with these courses. But depended on Barrons guide for Math PS skills. For RC, I mostly depended on OG 2016 and 2017 and newspapers and magazines. I also referred to GMAT Club for contents and strategies. I devoted most of my last month of preparation on OG questions and GMAT Prep.

On the test day, I was able to sleep well for 9-10 hours so that was nice. I took both the breaks and drank soda in both to keep up the spirits, and did not dwell on any questions once submitted. When I saw GMAT score: 700 (Q49, V36), I was pretty happy.

Cheers!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Semusal » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:40 am
Congrats!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Semusal » Mon May 08, 2017 4:24 am
Hi, congrats, can you tell how long did you prepare and what were your practice CAT scores? Thanks!