set problem 2

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

set problem 2

by creative1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:50 am
Another question:

At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired duringtheir shifts. At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness. If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep, what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by FLUID » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 am
creative1 wrote:Another question:

At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired duringtheir shifts. At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness. If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep, what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

Thanks
Assume, Total Interns = 100
Sleep less than 6 hours = 80
Sleep less than 6 and Tired = 75/100 * 80
Sleep greater than 6 and No tired = 70/100 * 20 = 14

Sleep less than 6 and not tired = 25/100 * 80 = 20

what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

Sleep greater than 6 and No tired + Sleep less than 6 and not tired = 14 + 20 = 34

=> 34/100 * 100% = 34%
Thanks,

"Take Risks in Your Life.
If you Win, you can Lead!
If you Loose, you can Guide!".

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks
The answer here is [spoiler]19%[/spoiler]

Notice that this question involves a population in which each member has two criteria associated with it. The criteria are:
- tired/not tired
= less than 6 hours sleep/more than 6 hours sleep

Given this, can use a technique called the Double Matrix method. For more information about this technique and some additional practice questions, check out these 3 BTG articles (and then come back and try the question):

- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/05/ ... question-1
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/05/ ... question-2
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/05/ ... question-3

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Followed by:4 members

by eski » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:52 am
Some clarity on this , I also got [spoiler]34%[/spoiler] ,

basically its 25% of 80% of 100 = 20
and
14%

where assume 100 as the total.

In matrix method , ans will be [spoiler]19%[/spoiler] if you

add : 5% of 80% + 14%

can someone explain matrix form here?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by saadiagha » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:15 pm
great question. Spend a lot of time doing it, and wasnt getting the right answer, used the double matrix but there was something missing.

Then I realized I was being very stupid and not taking out the percentage of the non tired- it says 70 percent- so its 70% of 20% of 100!

Got 14, and then added to the 5!

Double matrix is the best way to solve sets, ive seen a lot of people use calculations, maybe they are more comfortable with that, but the double matrix really allows you to "fill in the gaps"

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:44 pm
At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts. At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness. If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep, what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

a) 6
b) 14
c) 19
d) 20
e) 81
This is an EITHER/OR group problem.
Every intern EITHER receives fewer than 6 hours of sleep OR does not.
Every intern EITHER is tired OR is not.
To organize the data, use a GROUP GRID:

_______________<6______6plus_______Total

tired:

not tired:

total:

In the grid above, every row has to add up to the total, as does every column.
Looking at the top row, (fewer than 6 hours sleep and tired) + (6 or more hours sleep and tired) = total tired.
Looking at the left-most column, (fewer than 6 hours sleep and tired) + (fewer than 6 hours sleep and not tired) = total with fewer than 6 hours sleep.

Now let's fill in the data step by step.
Whenever we have 2 entries in a row or column, we can determine the remaining entry, since everything has to add up horizontally and vertically.
Let the total = 100:

_______________<6______6plus_______Total

tired:

not tired:

total:_______________________________100

75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired:

__________________<6______6plus_______Total

tired:________________75

not tired:

total:____________________________________100

80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep:

tired:______________75

not tired:___________5

total:______________80_______20________ 100

70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness:

tired:______________75_______6__________81

not tired:___________5_______14_________19

total:______________70_______20________ 100

Notice that everything adds up horizontally and vertically.
Total not tired = 19.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by viveksingh222 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks
The wordings of this question are very deceiving once you get through them, solving this problem is easy. Assuming total no of interns =100

80% of the interns receive fewer than 6hrs of sleep (This sentence implies 80 interns received less than 6hrs while rest i.e 20 interns received more than 6hrs of sleep)

75% of the interns receive fewer than 6hrs of sleep and report tiredness(doesn't imply 25% i.e rest of the students received more than 6hrs of sleep, but 75 students out of 80 students who had less than 6hrs of sleep are tired and remaining 5 of them though less than 6hrs of sleep are not tired)

70% of the interns who received 6 or more hrs of sleep are not tired(This statement implies 70% of 20 are not tired & 30% of 20 are tired)

Use the double matrix method to get to the answer as below

100 Slept>6 Slept <6
Tired 6 75
Not tired 14 5
20 80

Ans 14 + 5 = 19

Consider posting the options as well, any alternate method of solving a question can also be discussed if there is any.
Thank you.