Serious situation

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Serious situation

by moneyman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:55 am
I wrote the GMAT six times since March 2007. Scores are as follows

Mar 2007 - 450

Nov 2007 - 590

Apr 2008 - 480

May 2008 - 530

June 2008 - 580

Nov 26 2008 -580 (Day before yesterday)

Without a doubt I am ashamed at my failure to get my target score of 700. These attempts have been really emotional for me and have ripped my happiness apart.

I got into a decent university in California last year with a score of 590 but I kept writing the GMAT again in order to qualify for a scholarship. Caught between work and family tension, I somehow took out time to study for the GMAT but my lack of preparedness plus my desperation clearly highlights my 3,4 and 5th scores. But after that, I decided to dedicate 4 months of serious studying.

I identified my weaknesses by using MGMAT tests and I worked on them in a systematic manner. I used the MGMAT guides to strengthen on my weaknesses and I could see the improvement in my mock test scores. My MGMAT mock test scores ranged from 610 to 690. I have a GPA of 3.8 and I am not really a weak student.

I was fully prepared this time and I thought I would get a score of at least 680 but when I saw the score I literally choked and could not breath because it was my 6th attempt and I had a lot riding on this score. I had to get at least a 650 to get into on of the business schools or at least get a scholarship from the college I already got into.

I am devastated and feel something is really wrong here. During my latest attempt, I kinda felt that I screwed the Math part but I was so confident about the Verbal part because I had followed all the strategies of MGMAT and it was helping me. But when the score popped up 580 (M 44 V 26) I was shocked to death because I was so sure I did well on the Verbal part.

For all the GMAT attempts my average Quant scores have been between 42-46 and my Vebal scores between 26-31. All my plans have failed and all my hard work put in for the essays and LOR have literally gone down the drain.

I need serious help here and I need to know how can I investigate this matter with the GMAC and get a clue on what the heck is really going on. I am sick and tired of punishing myself like this because I know that these stupid scores really dont represent my real ability. I do not mind writing the GMAT again but before that I need a lot of answers from the GMAC. Also, I am not sure how schools would treat multiple scores(in my case 7 times if I write again) from an MBA applicant.

Guys, I desperately need some insight here and I need as much help as possible from this forum.
Maxx

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by parallel_chase » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 am
I understand exactly how you feel. I can see from your tests that you are no short on perseverance or belief; the only other thing left is preparation.

quant avg = 42-46
verbal avg. = 26-31

If you can list the materials you have used, I am sure many of us can suggest you how to go about it.

Most important no. of attempts doesnt matter, in the end what matters is commitment and consistent progression. One of my friend's friend got accepted in top 4 schools after his 8th attempt. Although it is a friend's friend story so I dont know that person, but seems to be true.

All the best.
No rest for the Wicked....

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by sudhir3127 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:23 am
I completely agree with chase... Please do mention at length the materials which ur using , ur study plan .. and if possible the break up of all the tests both real gmat and practice tests ..

We all can pitch in and suggest you .. i am sure u can reach the target 700. just maintain ur composure and determination .

All the very best. looking forward to ur reply.!!!

Sudhir

by moneyman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:41 am
Since I have started my prep last year, I have used the following materials:-

Kaplan GMAT Comprehensive Guide
Princeton Review GMAT
OG 11
OG Math workout
OG Verbal workout
Kaplan 800
MGMAT Geometry, SC and Word Translations

Well I cant exactly tell you my GMAT Prep scores because I would have taken them more than 16 times. I wrote 6 MGMAT tests and another 6 which were repeats.

My study approach was simple. I used the MGMAT to identify my weaknesses and then I worked out problems in those areas. I used the MGMAT SC strategies for Sentence Correction questions and used MGMAT CR techniques for Critical Reasoning questions. For RC, I just read the passage and made notes.

I took practice tests every week from MGMAT or GMAT Prep.

Also, I followed some of the quant strategies from MGMAT.

Anything else you guys want to know please tell me and I will be more than ready to provide information.
Maxx

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:46 am
First of all I want to tell you that GMAT is not IQ test neither it tests intelligence or probability of success in life. It is just an common admission test. (which I think you've already cracked as you've got admission in a decent b-school of your choice). As you said, you really are not a weak student your GPA suggests that, but I've seen some students with 3.6 - 4.0 GPA who couldn't score 550+.

I can understand what this must have been for you, preparing for the test all years with no desired outcome...

Perhaps this is not the post you wanted to read...
But over the time, I learned/realised one thing: you cant fool this test; your score can vary in range of +/-30 points but it is VERY UNLIKELY to expect great rise in the score. I know it's very tempting to give one more shot But most of the cases the outcome is not worth the efforts. I think you know better than me here. you can check Jack's GMAT story

by moneyman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:37 am
So does this mean that it will be stupid of me to keep taking the test in hopes of a better score?
Maxx

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by parallel_chase » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:55 am
moneyman wrote:So does this mean that it will be stupid of me to keep taking the test in hopes of a better score?
First of all dont be disheartened. Secondly, kindly ignore the aim-wsc's post. I respect his presence on this forum and I also appreciate his work but for a very clear reason I dont think such a reply was necessary.

Couple of my friends have raised their scores from 500 to 700. Therefore, pls dont go by statistics. If you believe you can, you will.
You have been working on this for so long, so why give up now.

You have all the right materials. You have to improve your verbals as well as quant.

Your quant avg. is 42-46, you have to raise it to at least consistent 48
Your verbal avg. is 26-31, you have to raise this to at least consistent 35

By no means above targets are difficult to achieve.

For quant, I suggest, give 2 MGMAT tests without timing - this will point to any conceptual difficulties you may have. Then attack those concepts, learn basics and also learn different ways how each one of those questions can be solved

For SC, I suggest, buy a wren & martin grammar book or for that matter even cliff notes will do. Learn the basics of grammar and then attack.

For CR, practice is the only thing I know of. It is only through practice you can better at it

Fot RC, same as CR, practice all the OG passages.

I hope others will suggest some better ways of improving verbal as well as quant.

I am sure you will do better this time.

Winners never quit and quitters never win [courtesy Logitech]
No rest for the Wicked....

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by iamcste » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:02 am
Agree with PC

Pls go by your inner voice and we are all sure that you can tame the beast !

by senthil » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Hi ,
I am just like you for the past 3 years my aim of getting into a mba school is delayed not because I dint get a school but apart from my marks I couldnt make it to top schools of my interest .Its my belief and confidence that I will make it to those schools and only if I get calls from those schools I will do my mba otherwie I will still try .

I simply feel "this is one life ,if I am not going to pursue my dreams now then whats the use in living" so chase it !!!
So Dont Give Up ! some more tuned up preparation and concepts and understandings will get ur score 700.

Thanks
Senthil

I aimed at 750+ but landed in 700 I am giving it a retake.
Thanks
Senthil

It seems impossible until its done.

by moneyman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:55 pm
Thank you so much for the encouragement parallel_chase..I need to know how I can plan my study now..Someone from this forum suggested this site www.4gmat.com which is an organization that holds GMAT classes from the scratch and it costs $250. Should I take this class or should I study by myself again ? And if I study by myself then what should my approach be and what new books can I buy ?
Maxx