second time 590

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:590

second time 590

by heyvishy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:05 am
Guys,
Its frutrating to mention that, today,i got 590(48 QT/23 Ver) again after 3 months of prep.Last I got 590 (48 QT/25 Verb))was in Jan 09.
Can't describe my frustration in words right now.

I was very positive about this time,
my scores were 580->610->660->700 in last couple of months
First three were from manhattan gmat and last one from Gmat prep.

Worst score i expected was somewhere close to 600 but atleast more than 600.

I was more confident in verbal this time unlike last time.
I dont know what went wrong.....

Gmat Gurus,
Please give me some words of wisdom.......i am still thinking of taking it for third time in next 4 weeks.
Live life king size

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by EMAN » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:00 pm
It looks like you did great on quant but your verbal could use improvement. If you had a tutor for verbal that may be useful.

by tiffanybell » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:07 pm
I got about the same score is you did but opposite. I bombed the math and got a 38 on the verbal. To me, the most helpful thing I did to improve my verbal score was to review sentence structure and grammatical rules. This is the hardest part in my opinion and it seems like there are always a lot.

Another GREAT help is to get rid of things you don't need in a sentence! Even if you know the rules, sometimes it is hard to apply them when there are so many prepositional phrases in the way!! Learn how to ex out prepositional phrases and you will be on easy street.

"The boy went to the gym in his gym clothes and worked out during the summer."

The nitty gritty: "The boy went to the gym and worked out. "

By eliminating the distractors, you can focus on subject-verb agreement and other grammatical rules.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by kartik1979 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:20 pm
first of all, you know that your vebral is weak
second is to pinpoint the areas of weakness

RC, CR OR SC

please state ur hit rates to suggest any course of action to take

by shilpireddy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:37 pm
Hi,

I strongly recommend "Manhattan Sentence correcting guide". Please please please go ahead and grab that book. It helped me improve my verbal score from 25 to 37!

I'm not sure how you did in RC and CR, but usually people get beaten by the sentence correction. Hence Manhattan SC guide should really help you.

All the best!!!

by heyvishy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:38 am
guys, thanks for sharing ur thoughts.

Kartik , man i always knew verbal was my weakness and thats what i had been working on....but thanks
Shilpi...i have that book already....but i was more into OG because this book is too comprehensive...for my schedule...but thanks anyways....
and
tiffany ...u.
may be we can help each other...score more in GMAT.(verbal-->-<--quant)

Thanks folks....i am down but not out and my next post in next 1 month would be hopefully more positive.
Live life king size

by shilpireddy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:41 am
Hey,

I'm also positive that you will work hard and improve your scores!!!! Keep this spirit up :)

I would still suggest that try to spend some more time with the Manhattan SC guide. Initially even I thought that I will manage without it, but once I started going through this book, I could actually solve the questions with more confidence. I don't know if it works the same way for everybody, but do spend some more time and do the exercises at the end of the chapters. Also, when I solved the OG questions listed at the end of each topic in the book, I was stunned to see that I could solve the same questions not with the help of my memory but because I could actually figure out the mistakes related to that chapter.

You know usually I used to solve OG questions and think that I should be able to "remember" the answer. However, while revising the same sentences later, I used to forget what the error was. But once I knew the rules, I never forgot the error!

Moreover I suggest, you read the book at least 2 or 3 times. Each time you read it, you will gain something new out of it.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching, but I have your best interests at heart :)

GMAT Score:710

by shaihi » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:47 am
Hey,
Don't be too down!
I know a guy that went to MIT Sloan with 590.
Don't forget that your CV is a crucial part in the admission process.
If you have a strong CV, I'd recommend you try and improve your Q to be 50 (hard, but probably easier than improving the impossible verbal part...), and then make sure you are just perfect with the essays.

All this is relevant in the case you are aiming at a top school obviously....

good luck,

Shai
Last edited by shaihi on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shai
https://instituto-mba.blocked/
IE Madrid, Nov 2010

by heyvishy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:12 am
shai,Thanks for encouragement bud,
i m planning to take it one more time .......
Lets see if i get a higher score before i actually apply.

i wud have 5+ years of technical exp. (IT)by next academic year,3.71 GPA and .how does it looks?
I am looking admissions into colleges in Top 20-30 range.
Live life king size