Scored just 630

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Scored just 630

by shreerajp99 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:51 am
Just came back form test center.Scored a meagre 630(Q39,V37) :(
Score is heavily skewed and the ironical part is i felt like i was doing well in quant. Plz suggest to me how can i improve my quant score.I was in control of quant till around 28th question and then got stuck in a exponents question.However,i faced around 3 combinations and around 2 probability questions and thus thought i am doing well but alas it wasnt to be :(
I was getting most of the questions correct in quant but i am sure that was just my illusion.I finally guessed around 3 questions in quant since i was running out of time.
Plz suggest how do i improve my quant score within 1 month by around 10 points since i need to apply for fall 2013.
Should i apply with this poor score to any of the colleges or take the exam within a month's time?
Do u think my score can improve drastically by around 10 points in quant in such a short span of time?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:41 am
shreerajp99 wrote:Plz suggest to me how can i improve my quant score.
As far as how one goes about improving in math, I believe that you should compartmentalize your learning and take the time to master each topic (e.g., percents, ratios, exponents, statistics, etc.).

This means that, for each topic, you should:
1) Learn the underlying concepts (rules, attributes, notation, etc.)
2) Learn GMAT-specific strategies related to that topic
3) Practice dozens of questions all related to that one topic.
4) Don't stop working on that topic until you have mastered it
Then, and only then, move on to the next topic.

I also suggest that you spend a lot of time reviewing the responses from the Experts on this site. They model the steps you should be taking when tackling math problems.

In addition to learning the core concepts and GMAT-specific strategies, be sure to work on your endurance and test-taking skills (e.g., time management) by taking several practice tests. If you're interested, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by shreerajp99 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:09 am
I retook GMAT today and scored 620(Q45,V31).
My quant score increased by 6 points from my last attempt whereas my verbal score decreased by 6 points.
Few things that annoyed me about the exam today:
1.After both IR and quant breaks,when the proctor logged into the system,it showed not responding and thus in quant i was docked around 1min 5secs and in verbal 1min 26secs.
2.1 DS question in quant gave all details about value of K and eventually asked about n,i didn't know gmac makes typos.
3.1 verbal CR question was from gmatprep,it was a 1 bold faced question with a single sentence underlined,but trust me guys this question was same with same answer choices(not that im complaining but i believe gmac spends $5000/question so that would be laziness on their part,nothing else).

I felt quant was very difficult,gmatclub tests level i feel and verbal seemed easy but eventually i got screwed so doesnt matter.
Whoever planning to take this exam in the future,few suggestions:
1.Get gmatprep documents and just solve them in and out(gmat must be recycling many of its questions,i am sure about it,now i feel i shouldve just done those documents,nothing else)
2.OG is nothing but old representation of GMAT(except new quant questions).

For now,i am taking a break from this exam(I feel i have been studying this exam wrongly all this while).I have applied to 6 colleges with my old score of 630(got 3 rejects).As soon as my final reject comes in,i will decide what to do with my MBA plans(whether to take GRE this time or again attempt GMAT).btw i had scored 1420 in gre during my college days but i had given it just coz everyone was giving it hehe!

Thanks,
Shreeraj

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dannya » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:50 am
Sheeraj,

Don't assume that you'll be rejected from all 6 programs. Try to keep positive. I think if you've improved your math score by 6 points that is something to be proud of. Are you applying to FT or PT MBA programs ? I just took the GMAT last week after several months of studying and scored a 600. I'm thinking of retaking it in 30 days but may just apply to the PT programs with this score.

by shreerajp99 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 am
Thanks,im applying for full time programs only.