Schools Good For Entrepreneurship?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

Schools Good For Entrepreneurship?

by cbenk121 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:38 pm
Has anyone attended a school they thought was great for entrepreneurs? I know there are lists out there for this sort of thing, but I'm trying to get a handle around what I want from a school. I'm thinking things like...

1) Opportunities to start businesses with profs as mentors
2) Classes with entrepreneurs teaching
3) Networking opportunities with angel investors & VCs
4) Business plan competitions
5) Corporate skill development, just in case the business doesn't take off right away :)
6) Facilities available for businesses (e.g., low cost mailing addresses, offices for rent)

Additionally, does a school "good" in entrepreneurship actually help people become better entrepreneurs? Entrepreneurship may be something where you don't need a MBA to succeed - trying to figure it out...

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:48 pm
These are great questions. One thing you suggest which many b-school hopefuls do not consider is that most successful entrepreners do not have a b-school degree. Entrepreneurship is a unique calling and not something you can necessarily learn in the classroom. Having said that, there are schools whose curriculum is oriented towards entreprenurs. MIT Sloan and Berkeley Haas come to mind as standouts. There is also a trend towards incubation in b-school for budding entrepreneurs. GA Tech, for example has a program called TiGER in their MBA program, which stands for Technology and innovation Generates Economic Results. Two GT MBA students team up with a Tech PhD student with some sort of technology research he or she thinks is worthy of commercializing. They add two Emory university Law students to the team as well and the result is a full interdisciplinary program between the two schools which puts the five students in classes together where they put together a business plan. Very popular and competitive program to enter. Most schools participate in National Business Plan competitions as well. There is even some decent prize money involed in many cases up to the six figure level. The good part of going to b-school with entrepreneurial interests, is that you generally come out much better equipped to survive than perhaps those who simply launch out with an idea and little training in core business skills. Often for these, things work well for a period, but they do not understand how to handle growth. This is all very broadly generalizing. you will need to check with individual programs to see if they offer the kind of support about which you are inquiring. Speaking of GA Tech again, their ATDC (advanced technology development Corporation) which is physically housed directly across the street from the business school, does inded offer office space and startup support for those startups they accept into their tutelage. I am sure other schools do similar things, especially schools which have a strong research focus. I hope this info helps you.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:25 pm
Hi cbenk121,

You did ask some very good questions. One MBA program that wasn't mentioned above is Babson. Babson's MBA program has been ranked #1 in entrepreneurship for 17 consecutive years by U.S. News & World Report.

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Stacy Blackman
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mfpatino » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:16 am
Hi everybody, I have reviewed the information for USA, anyone have the information for European MBA with entrepreneur focus

thanks