SC1

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

SC1

by allfta » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:52 am
It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria that first drew attention to the possibility that the sickle cell gene might confer resistance to the disease.

(A)

(B) It was the geographic range of the sickle cell gene coinciding with malaria that

(C) The geographic range of the sickle cell gene coinciding with malaria was what

(D) The geographic ranges of the sickle cell gene and malaria coinciding was what

(E) It was that the geographic ranges of the sickle cell gene and malaria were coincident that

I think D. urs?
OA -> missing

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:58 am
IMO A: It was the coincidence ..... that drew ... perfect.

B: coinciding with malaria, not right tense
C: was what that drew .. definetly not concise...

D: Not make much sense, sickle cell and malaria coiciding was what first drew...
E: Several issues including tense.
allfta wrote:It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria that first drew attention to the possibility that the sickle cell gene might confer resistance to the disease.

(A)

(B) It was the geographic range of the sickle cell gene coinciding with malaria that

(C) The geographic range of the sickle cell gene coinciding with malaria was what

(D) The geographic ranges of the sickle cell gene and malaria coinciding was what

(E) It was that the geographic ranges of the sickle cell gene and malaria were coincident that

I think D. urs?
OA -> missing
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:14 am
A. Incorrect, coincidence cannot be related to the geographic range and malaria - Malaria is a disease and geographic range is a scientific term
B. Incorrect, logical introduction of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene - the same as in A
C. Incorrect, see A, B
D. Incorrect :( "what" used as sub-clause connector
E. Correct, precise "it+to be ... that ..." form; geographic ranges of the sickle cell gene and malaria were coincident
allfta wrote:It was the coincidence of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria that first drew attention to the possibility that the sickle cell gene might confer resistance to the disease.

(A)

I think D. urs?
OA -> missing
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Legendary Member

by maihuna » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 am
Night rider, did u noticed beginning of E, "it was that" what is th epurpose of this convoluted start? Is it concise? No. An wrong option only based on this one. Do not forget there is another "that" to conenct them.

On the contrary A is clean; the coincidence is not related to the geographic ranges, those thing are just for obfucation, marked with of. Coincidence is related with "that", it was the coincidence ...that...
Night reader wrote:A. Incorrect, coincidence cannot be related to the geographic range and malaria - Malaria is a disease and geographic range is a scientific term
B. Incorrect, logical introduction of the geographic range of the sickle cell gene - the same as in A
C. Incorrect, see A, B
E. Correct, precise "it+to be ... that ..." form; geographic ranges of the sickle cell gene and malaria were coincident

(A)

I think D. urs?
OA -> missing

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 am
oh, i missed there's that in E- it makes this choice awkward

nevertheless A ignores coincidence of two possibilities and instead suggests one possibility - i.e. one geographical range. How one can occur simultaneously with itself?
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:51 am
@maihuna: what do you mean by coincidence is not related to geographic ranges ? - these two words are connected with preposition of to inform that they are directly linked
maihuna wrote:Night rider, did u noticed beginning of E, "it was that" what is th epurpose of this convoluted start? Is it concise? No. An wrong option only based on this one. Do not forget there is another "that" to conenct them.

On the contrary A is clean; the coincidence is not related to the geographic ranges, those thing are just for obfucation, marked with of. Coincidence is related with "that", it was the coincidence ...that...
Night reader wrote:A. Incorrect, coincidence cannot be related to the geographic range and malaria - Malaria is a disease and geographic range is a scientific term
C. Incorrect, see A, B

(A)

I think D. urs?
OA -> missing

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:06 am
somehow I am not convinced between C and D also because
in C & D there should have been "that" with "what" but its missing.

me not sure but out of A and B I would have gone for A.............

Wats the OA???

Legendary Member

by maihuna » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:53 am
Night Rider, I tried to expose the skelton, to discover the skelton we normally read without such constructs as prepositional phrases/clauses, here "it is coincidence that first drew attention" is the skelton over which other info's are laden such as the one with of construct.

Night reader wrote:@maihuna: what do you mean by coincidence is not related to geographic ranges ? - these two words are connected with preposition of to inform that they are directly linked
maihuna wrote:Night rider, did u noticed beginning of E, "it was that" what is th epurpose of this convoluted start? Is it concise? No. An wrong option only based on this one. Do not forget there is another "that" to conenct them.

C. Incorrect, see A, B

(A)

I think D. urs?
OA -> missing

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Thu May 19, 2016 4:45 am
I am not able to understand the meaning of this sentence. Can someone please explain it.

If geographic range of the sickle cell gene and malaria was the same, should it not mean that sickle cell gene and malaria occur together?

Then, how is the sentence concluding that sickle cell gene is resistant to the disease (which disease??).