SC question

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

SC question

by maruthisandeep » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:29 am
The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914.

A) armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

B) armies during World War I, spreading an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

C) armies during World War I when they spread an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

D) armies during World War I, for an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

E) armies during World War I by the spread of an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ani781 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:22 pm
I think the correct answer is D

A - This form is always correct when X is Y in that Z -> implies X and Y are similar in only "z" way.
I don't see this form being followed in this answer choice.

B - Looks like a contender. Verb-ing modifier followed by a comma , always modifies the whole preceding clause. In this case "spreading" modifies the clause "The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing armies during World War I".

C - It was Christmas Holidays which brought about the ceasefire... not the army or armies. Hence incorrect.

D - Looks like the correct usage of 'for' (fanboys - coordinating conjunction)

E - Too convoluted

So between B and D , I would pick D.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:34 pm
Hi,

Hope the below link can be of help
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-christmas ... 97760.html