SC practise 3

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

SC practise 3

by senthil » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:36 am
The facts are well known.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,more than half suffer from anemia,a similair proportion escapes full immunization.

A.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,more than half suffer from anemia,a similar

B.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,and more than half suffer from anemia,a similar

C.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,and more than half suffer from anemia,a similar

D.About half of all Indian children are undernourished and ,more than half suffer from anemia,a similar

E.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,more than half suffer from anemia,and a similar
Thanks
Senthil

It seems impossible until its done.

by blackarrow » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:17 pm
My answer is E
Its better to burn out than to fade away

GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:25 pm
Where are you getting these, Senthil? This one is two sentences.

Also, please underline the relevant portion of the sentence so the rest of us can better be of assistance.

I don't like the question by my guess is E as well.

This type of sentence goes..... something COMMA something COMMA AND something.

As a side note, most newspapers follow the Associated Press style guide which says you should go something COMMA something AND something.

by lav » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:53 pm
I agree with "4seasoncentre" as far as i know ", and " is often wrong and is used to generally replace comma , or shud i say i you use "and" rarely u need to use it with comma.

My ans E

What's the source of these questions that you posted ??
Kid in Verbal :(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by franciskyle » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:23 pm
B & C are the exact same sentence here, typo?
k. Francis

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: SC practise 3

by Saurabhjain » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:28 am
senthil wrote:The facts are well known.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,more than half suffer from anemia,a similair proportion escapes full immunization.

A.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,more than half suffer from anemia,a similar

B.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,and more than half suffer from anemia,a similar

C.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,and more than half suffer from anemia,a similar

D.About half of all Indian children are undernourished and ,more than half suffer from anemia,a similar

E.About half of all Indian children are undernourished,more than half suffer from anemia,and a similar
Its a parallelism based question. E is teh best answer.

GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:11 pm
lav wrote:I agree with "4seasoncentre" as far as i know ", and " is often wrong and is used to generally replace comma , or shud i say i you use "and" rarely u need to use it with comma.
Actually, I disagree with the Associate Press style guide. This comma is called the serial comma https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma and people disagree with whether or not it should be used. Some style guides are for it, others against- quite controversial.

This just goes to show that there are no definitive rules in English, just practises that are commonly accepted. Its important to understand the style that is accepted by the GMAT, even if you disagree with it.

Interestingly, France has an authority that regulates the french language.