SC GMATPREp

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

SC GMATPREp

by prac » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 am
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final try outs are held for athletes representing the US in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.
A.) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation
B.) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them
C.) are geared to enhance athletes performance and their preparation
D.) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them
E.) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them

I was left with two option in last D and E and finally choose E because I thought enhancing and preparing are parallel. Is it correct?

I am not very sure why D is wrong but I felt D is wrong that y chose the other answer. Experts please explain.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 am
prac wrote:The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final try outs are held for athletes representing the US in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.
A.) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation
C.) are geared to enhance athletes performance and their preparation ( not parellel)
D.) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them
E.) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them ( correct answer?)

I was left with two option in last D and E and finally choose E because I thought enhancing and preparing are parallel. Is it correct?

I am not very sure why D is wrong but I felt D is wrong that y chose the other answer. Experts please explain.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sallywoo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:39 pm
i'm not sure, but i think i read somewhere in manhattan gmat about abstract nouns and concrete nouns and that they can't be made parallel. maybe that's why 'D' is wrong. can any experts provide their input?

Legendary Member

by diebeatsthegmat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:09 am
sallywoo wrote:i'm not sure, but i think i read somewhere in manhattan gmat about abstract nouns and concrete nouns and that they can't be made parallel. maybe that's why 'D' is wrong. can any experts provide their input?
D is wrong because its not parallel and wordy... toward the enhenacememnt is not parralell with toward preparing
it should be toward +N ... toward+N or toward +Ving .... toward+Ving, that would be paralell for the 2 cases.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by tetura84 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:40 pm
prac wrote:The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final try outs are held for athletes representing the US in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.
C.) are geared to enhance athletes performance and their preparation

I think the correct answer is C, what is the OA?
First, the subject is, Sports Medicine Programs = plural, A & B out.
D = toward the enhancement ... toward preparing = not parallel
E = geared toward enhancing = this is kind of awkward. When one verb triggers another, infinitive form is better.
Here, gear triggers enhance, so C is better.
Also, in C, are geared to enhance athletes performance and their preparation = they are parallel, I don't think enhance and preparation need to be parallel. Parallel marker is AND and right portion of and is, their preparation. So, in left portion, parallelism should start from athletes performance.
78 clicks can change my life !

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:54 am
hi guys. my ideas about C and D ( clearly A and B are wrong for obvious reasons)
c) are geared to enhance athletes performance and their preparation
it seems that their here has no antecedent at all, athletes here is not noun but adjective so it can`t be valid antecedent, so ir is wrong
d)are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them
here bolded words are not ||, the noun the enhancement and gerund preparing can be || in no way
so d is also out
left with E

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:27 am
moreover in option C we are talking about Atheletes performance not about atheletes therefore, "their" in C is wrong

by YellowSapphire » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:04 am
What is the difference in usage between "gear toward' and "gear to"?
Yellow Sapphire

GMAT Score:590

by monge1980 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:39 am
Hi guys, first of all let correct some typo mistake done in the previous posts. I found this question in the GMATPrep and the correct version is the following:

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final try outs are held for athletes representing the US in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.
C.) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

As you can see, in the answer C) is written athletes' performances and not athletes performances

That said, the game is still between answer C) and E). But in this case the answer C) cannot be eliminated because of the possessive noun "their". In fact it correctly refers to athletes' ... I found in a post by Ron, that in the construction [NOUN1'S]+[NOUN2], [POSSESSIVE] the possessive (his, its, their etc..) can refer correctly to [NOUN1].

So, for what other reason we should eliminate C) ?? Maybe only for the idiom geared to ...

Please answer with your thoughts ...

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:53 am
C.) are geared to enhance athletes performance and their preparation (It has to be "and to prepare them(athletes)

IMO:E

by monge1980 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:11 am
GmatKiss wrote:
C.) are geared to enhance athletes performance and their preparation (It has to be "and to prepare them(athletes)

IMO:E
Thanks for the reply. However I do not agree with you about the error in the answer C). I think that the parallelism is well respectd ... are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

The possessive their correctly refers to the possessive noun athlets'.

The question is whether a program can enhance the preparation ... I think it can, but I am not sure.

So why C) is wrong?

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:740

by force5 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:32 am
Hello Guys

PRAC - first off - please underline the SC when ever you post, This is how you should do it if you don't know yet....

highlight the portion that you want to underline by clicking and dragging your mouse pointer. then you can see an underlined U (3rd button from the left) on the formatting panel (above the box in which you are typing). Press this button once to underline. You will not see the text underlined text immediately in the box until you press the preview button.

Coming back to the question. I would request everyone to kindly check the post before submitting. these posts are read by a lot of aspiring students and small mistakes can lead to a huge change in meaning.

As done by MONGE1980- choice C doesn't say Athletes' performance. (which is a plural possessive)
the original post says athletes performance..... which is incorrect because of 2 consecutive nouns modifying each other and not being parallel to the other half of the sentence.

As others have mentioned E is the best choice due to parallelism. I think everyone understood the rest.

by monge1980 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:40 am
force5 wrote:Hello Guys

PRAC - first off - please underline the SC when ever you post, This is how you should do it if you don't know yet....

highlight the portion that you want to underline by clicking and dragging your mouse pointer. then you can see an underlined U (3rd button from the left) on the formatting panel (above the box in which you are typing). Press this button once to underline. You will not see the text underlined text immediately in the box until you press the preview button.

Coming back to the question. I would request everyone to kindly check the post before submitting. these posts are read by a lot of aspiring students and small mistakes can lead to a huge change in meaning.

As done by MONGE1980- choice C doesn't say Athletes' performance. (which is a plural possessive)
the original post says athletes performance..... which is incorrect because of 2 consecutive nouns modifying each other and not being parallel to the other half of the sentence.

As others have mentioned E is the best choice due to parallelism. I think everyone understood the rest.
Hi, I have done the GMATPrep few minutes ago... as you can see in the picture attached, the answer C) states:

C.) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

So why C) is incorrect?

Followed by:1 members

by sl750 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:45 am
C is wrong because the list is not parallel. It should read are geared to x and to y
E in my opinion is the answer

by monge1980 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:49 am
Well, it is unconvincing, because it can be "it is geared to enhance X and Y. in this case X and Y are parallel.

"are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

Any thoughts?