SC confusion - experts help needed

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

SC confusion - experts help needed

by ranjithreddy.k9 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:35 pm
In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(A) In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(B) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in assessing the problems that they face.
(C) A question that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face is whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor.
(D) In an assessment of the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(E) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in an assessment of the problems that they face.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:18 pm
ranjithreddy.k9 wrote:In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.

(A) In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(B) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in assessing the problems that they face.
Comparison issue between rural worker and urban working poor. An individual is compared to group.
(C) A question that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face is whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor.
(D) In an assessment of the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
Tense issue.
(E) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in an assessment of the problems that they face.
Same as that of B.
Call between A and C.

In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.

Rephrased it as:

The question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor in assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, is irrelevant

IMO C.

Please correct me incase wrong and post the source.
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:31 pm
Hi,
I don't see any mistake in 'In an assessment'. Can you elaborate on this.
A is wrong because the +ing modifier at the beginning ' In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers' is followed by the subject which is being modified. Here, it is followed by question.
C and D seem to be alright grammatically.
I can probably eliminate C because of awkwardness.
'question' is far from the part which explains what the question is.
It is close between C and D.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:39 pm
I was trying to rephrase option D as I did for option A in earlier post.

And when I did that, I found 'in an assessment' to be in appropriate.

Please correct if wrong.
Regards,

Pranay

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by dv2020 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:41 am
On first scan I was left with A and D finally chose D, as "In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers" should modify some subject such as people investigators and the like but "In an assessment of the problems faced by rural migrant workers" pefectly modifies the question I don't really don't know how to explain C but its like the meaning gets a little confusing by using the two that clauses is the last part of the sentence defining uestion or problems. such issues are usually solved by using modifier which D does perfectly...
ranjithreddy.k9 wrote:In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ranjithreddy.k9 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:27 am
dv2020 wrote:On first scan I was left with A and D finally chose D, as "In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers" should modify some subject such as people investigators and the like but "In an assessment of the problems faced by rural migrant workers" pefectly modifies the question I don't really don't know how to explain C but its like the meaning gets a little confusing by using the two that clauses is the last part of the sentence defining uestion or problems. such issues are usually solved by using modifier which D does perfectly...
You are right..OA is D..But i am not fully convinced with the explanation ...could you please explain the reason y C is wrong??..don't u think "they" in option D is ambiguous??

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:33 am
ranjithreddy.k9 wrote:don't u think "they" in option D is ambiguous??
Hi,
'they' is there in C as well. Moreover, 'they' is not ambiguous. Go with the meaning. 'they' is compared with urban working poor. so, 'they' can only refer to rural migrant workers.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:23 am
I think C is wrong because question should have been near by to whether they are better off materially xxxxx

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sameerballani » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:37 am

I feel the modifier used in option D is a better construction. Also i have a feeling that in this case we should use passive construction - problems faced by rural migrant workers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by nafiul9090 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:23 pm
hello guys
whats the source of this question ??

regards nafi