SC - 1000 - #847

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

SC - 1000 - #847

by f2001290 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:14 am
The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal that his inventions typically sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works.
(A) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
(B) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but were slowly evolved
(C) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
(D) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but had slowly evolved
(E) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but they were slowly evolved

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Wed May 23, 2007 9:39 am
I would place my bets with C...OA please

by f2001290 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:40 am
bang on target ...

Why C

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Wed May 23, 2007 9:46 am
The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal that his inventions typically sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works.
(E) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but they were slowly evolved

"sprang to life not in a splash"....the usage here sounds awkward and roundabout....a better construction would be did not spring to life....hence A& B are out...

E...."were" slowly evovled alters the meaning of the sentence....

Between C and D....I settled for C because we do not need the perfect tense here

Re: SC - 1000 - #847

by perfectstranger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:53 am
f2001290 wrote:The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal that his inventions typically sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works.
A and B no paralelism is constructed in a flash of inspiration is a prepositional phrase whereas evolved is a verb. So Out
C best answer did not spring (simple past) .....but evolved (simple past) . Paralelism is established.
D Out since had slowly evolved is past perfect and distorts paralelism
E Usage of they is redundant, simple past verb required to be followed by simple past verb not with a simple past of ''be''

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by smarri » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:53 am
Hi,

I chose C and not E because C says

if it were slowly evolved, i would have chosen C. The adverb slowly should modify the verb evolved. It is incorrect to write 'evolved slowly' instead of 'slowly evolved'

Please let me know your views

Thank you

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:55 am
Correct idiom 'not X but Y' or 'not X but rather Y'
f2001290 wrote:The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal that his inventions typically sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works.
(A) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly - idiom error
(B) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but were slowly evolved - idiom error
(C) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly - Correct
(D) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but had slowly evolved - no need of 'had', because you are not giving any time hirarchy or 'had' is not being used as past tense of 'have'
(E) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but they were slowly evolved - 'they' is ambiguous
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:07 pm
sure OA is C not A ?

OG has a similar question or may be the same I believe.

by BastiG » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:31 pm
GMATMadeEasy wrote:sure OA is C not A ?

OG has a similar question or may be the same I believe.
It would be really nice if you would post the OG question. But I am almost 100% sure, that A is wrong because it lacks parallelism.

the construction is:
Not X, but Y

choice A: sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
not in a flash of inspiration, but evolved slowly from previous works --> not ||
prepositional phrase || verb/simple past

Choice C: did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works
verb/simple past||verb/simple past

by apex231 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:36 pm
C looks fine to me except one thing.

since "slowly" is an adverb, shouldn't it precede the verb it's modifying i.e. "evolved"? Is this reason good enough not to choose it over D?

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:44 am
OA is C. You are right.

Vebral review 2nd Edition Question 4, it is .

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Wizardry » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:39 am
reply2spg wrote:Correct idiom 'not X but Y' or 'not X but rather Y'
(A) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly - idiom error
(B) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but were slowly evolved - idiom error
(C) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly - Correct
(D) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but had slowly evolved - no need of 'had', because you are not giving any time hirarchy or 'had' is not being used as past tense of 'have'
(E) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but they were slowly evolved - 'they' is ambiguous
Perfectly identified by sudhanshu ....
first is having idiom error, but it lie in the parallel construction of Not X but Y ...
same is the error in option B , Option C is perfect ... , D says evolution happened before springing into life .. E is having pronoun error; they can refer to papers or inventions ...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:670

by joealam1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:34 am
Hello,

what's this source SC-1000?

i just found the same question in the official guide 2017?

by gocoder » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:06 am
From D
.... did not spring implies an action in past tense.
..... but had slowly evolved implies a contrast action that took place over a period of time in the past.
In this sentence, there is no preceding main clause in past tense but can't past perfect be used, as in D, to compare actions to show contrast in both time line and action ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:29 am
gocoder wrote:From D
.... did not spring implies an action in past tense.
..... but had slowly evolved implies a contrast action that took place over a period of time in the past.
In this sentence, there is no preceding main clause in past tense but can't past perfect be used, as in D, to compare actions to show contrast in both time line and action ?
To express a PAST GENERAL TRUTH -- something that did not happen at a particular moment in the past but that was generally true in the past -- we use the SIMPLE PAST TENSE:
Mary was the tallest girl in her class.
Here, was (simple past tense) serves to express a past general truth about Mary.

OA: His inventions typically did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works.
Here, did not spring and evolved (both simple past tense) serve to express a past general truth about his inventions.

D: His inventions typically did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but had evolved slowly from previous works.
Here, had evolved (past perfect) cannot serve to express a past general truth about his inventions.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3