Same Questions when Re-Installing GMATPrep!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi. I've heard that you can get different tests if you un-install and re-install the gmatprep software. i've tried this but it isnt working. im getting the same tests. does someone know what i should do? thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri May 11, 2007 8:07 pm
false information.

Re-installation wont help

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kookoo4tofu » Fri May 11, 2007 8:17 pm
but ive been reading around on the forums and noticed many members doing this and they would get diffrent questions on gmatprep

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Fri May 11, 2007 8:29 pm
kookoo4tofu wrote:but ive been reading around on the forums and noticed many members doing this and they would get diffrent questions on gmatprep
bet never would have heard this from me or from beatthegmat,

While I do suggest that you can go on with GMAT prep twice or thrice... purpose is only to exhaust the GMAT Prep question bank... while doing so consider only first (or first two) attempts of both SIM CATs as correct measuring indicator of your probable Real GMAT score.

Bottomline:
Repeat GMAT Prep questions & test since they are set by the company which sets real GMAT questions.
Dont expect different questions everytime you take the test>
Reason: they have finite number of questions stored in the software.
Yet GMAT Prep has highest no. of questions stored in it. So you can actually go and repeat the test. But for other tests you cant even think of such act ( except PowerPrep)

Sorry if I confused you with this post.. do let me know

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Fri May 11, 2007 8:36 pm
You need to go to your "C:\Program Files" folder and delete whatever files are present in the folder in which GMATPrep is installed. It's probably named "GMATPrep", I don't remember exactly.

Be careful and delete the files only if you are sure it is GMATPrep's folder and not some other folder!

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Fri May 11, 2007 8:44 pm
rajesh_ctm wrote:You need to go to your "C:\Program Files" folder and delete whatever files are present in the folder in which GMATPrep is installed. It's probably named "GMATPrep", I don't remember exactly.

Be careful and delete the files only if you are sure it is GMATPrep's folder and not some other folder!
May I know what are you trying to suggest?

by rajesh_ctm » Sat May 12, 2007 6:11 am
aim-wsc wrote: May I know what are you trying to suggest?
When you install the GMATPrep, it installs in some directory, let's say "C\Program Files\GMATPrep".
As an when you take the practice tests, or practice questions, it will store a log in the installed directory. The log will contain all the information it needs to know that you have taken a test or a practice section, and also what questions were there etc. The question bank is big, but once it has given you a question in a test, it will store what questions, what order etc it has shown, so that next time you can review the same test, and not a fresh set. So when you log in a second time, it will bring up the same questions you had taken previously. It creates this log for both full length tests and practice sections.

When you uninstall and re-install, these logs are not deleted. So you will see the same set of questions you had already seen. To see a fresh set of questions, these logs have to be deleted.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu May 17, 2007 7:05 pm
FYI even if you do this you will likely see a mix of ones you've already seen and some new ones.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Thu May 17, 2007 7:25 pm
welcome back Stacey :)

and how I missed that reply!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu May 17, 2007 7:28 pm
Yeah, been traveling :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by rajesh_ctm » Thu May 17, 2007 7:59 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:FYI even if you do this you will likely see a mix of ones you've already seen and some new ones.
Yes, so it won't be much accurate in evaluating the preparation level, but still it will be great for practice.
In my case, there were 5-7 questions common in the full length CATs in first and second installs.