Sadly Third Attempt!! Need expert Advice

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Sadly Third Attempt!! Need expert Advice

by MTariq » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:41 pm
I took the GMAT for the second time on 17th of April, after studying 8 hours everyday for more than a month and scored just 560!! Quantative 62 Percentile and Verbal 39 Percentile
I am highly devastated by the score because before taking the test, I was very confident about my preparation and was aiming atleast above 660.
On my first attempt, I scored 550. I used all the Kaplan materials and Official guide for the preparation. I also took the Online course with Kaplan. To prepare for the second attempt. I bought Manhattan word translations, sentence correction, fraction and decimal books. Also, I bought the Critical Reasoning Bible to work on Critical Reasoning. Along with these, I took the Kaplan online course again.

My CAT results were as follows during the preparations for second attempt:
GMAT Prep 1: 630
GMAT Prep 2: 630
Kaplan CAT 1: 610
Kaplan CAT 2: 630
Kaplan CAT 3: 620
Kaplan CAT 4: 630
Kaplan CAT 5: 660
Kaplan CAT 6: 580
Kaplan CAT 7: 600
Kaplan CAT 8: 620
Kaplan CAT 9: 660

I was very confident the second time. During the test, all the time I thought that I am doing really well and was shocked when I saw a score of 560. It was not even close to my average score on practice tests.
The school I have applied to has asked me to retake the GMAT. Now I will be writing it for the third time on 20th of May, Please people help me out regarding what should I be doing in next 20 days.
I wish I could see my second attempt GMAT once again and see what kind of mistakes I made because I still can't believe I scored soo low.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:52 pm
From the looks of your practice tests, which certainly seem to have a trend, my guess is that you are not accurately simulating the test environment. While it is nearly impossible to do so, you might try taking the practice tests in a place and position as much like the actual test as possible (for example not curled up on a couch with a laptop...not to imply that's how you took your practice tests). Additionally I can't help but notice you do not list an instructor-led course in your preparation regimen. I would highly recommend taking such a course before your May test date. You will be very pleasantly surprised at how much it can help. Good luck in May.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by rockeyb » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 pm
Another point that I think is crucial is AWA . Did you take the test with AWA or without AWA ? This matters an added hour takes a toll on the mental process specially in english section where even a single word can make the answer wrong .

I think its all about mental stamina than any thing else . If your prep scores are accurately showing your stamina to last 4 hrs then you can be at least 90% sure to mimic the prep score in the actual test .
"Know thyself" and "Nothing in excess"

by MTariq » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:32 am
@Bryant.

I did take the instructor led course not only once but twice. I attended Kaplan Online classes which are instructor led. I also tried simulating the environment of the actual GMAT during my tests

@ Rockeyb

I took all CATS with AWA. For all my CATS, I sat there for full three and half hours. Also, I tried taking the practice test at the time my actual GMAT was, that is 8 o clock in the morning.

Followed by:5 members

by 2010Chick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 pm
MTariq,

I think there may be something wrong with the Kaplan tests. I took an instructor-led course with them, and I just had a similar experience last week. My practice scores were the following:

Diagnostic:630
Cat 2: 640
Cat 3: 630
Cat 4: 620
Cat 5:700
Cat 6: 620
Cat 7:630
Cat 8: 650
Cat 9: 710

Actual GMAT: 610

In my case, as in yours, the difference between the final Kaplan CAT and the Actual test was decrease of 100 points. Additionally, I simulated test conditions by requiring myself to sit in a desk with no TV on or music playing while I practiced. I also made sure to practice at approximately the same time in the morning that I was going to take my test. After I took the test, I contacted the Kaplan facility at which I took my course to tell them the bad news. I've yet to hear any apologies, condolences, or anything from them. I guess they don't care though- they already have their money. It's okay, though. I will NEVER recommend a Kaplan course to anyone as long as I live!

I know it may not make you feel better, but know you're not alone. Hang in there, and advise your friends not to take the Kaplan class!