Round I: 600 Q44 V29. Can't wait for Round II >.<

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey Guys,

Let me tell you my story :P: I too had been preparing for GMAT using OG11, OG12, Manhattan SC etc. I too gave a couple of GMAT Prep tests. Each time I scored between 44-47in Quant, but struggled with verbal cos my scores were always stuck in the top 30s. I should've started concentrating on improving my verbal skills, but instead like a fool, kept on giving mock tests just to get used to the test. I thought all I need to do is reduce the number of errors in Verbal and that'll put up a better score.

Today I had my GMAT. After a smooth essay writing session, I went on to Quant. The first question it self rattled me, but I took a little over 2 mins to solve it and got it right. Then onwards it was a smooth sail until I came across some weird DS questions. I did nailed few, then guessed few cos I didn't want to run out of time. There was a time when I got real easy Math questions, a series of them actually that made me wonder 'Why the hell am I getting such easy ones? Have I messed up Quant section so bad that the CAT thinks these are all I can solve?'. However I got impatient and started to finish off Quant questions tackling them one at a time. Final result- I thought I would get around Q35, but was happy to see Q44.

Next came Verbal. Trust me I hadn't practiced a lot and I had to pay heavy price for it. My aim was not to make any errors. Verbal started off well and I took time to nail initial questions without making mistakes. By the time I was done with 20 questions, I had consumed quite an amount of time. And yes, those 20 questions did have few guess work/incorrect ones. Few more questions ahead, I saw 14 questions remained-24 mins left. I thought it was ample time and I can cruise through. Then I saw one mammoth sized RC! I swear I felt as if I was hit by a train. I just couldn't believe it! I started to panic and had to rush through last 12-13 questions making random guesses. Guys, I messed up Verbal real bad. V29.

Total: Q44 V29 (Waiting AWA scores)

Fundaes:

1. I was deeply hurt to see a mere 600 for all the work that I did since last 2 months. But, I acknowledged that the mistake was on my part for not actively preparing for verbal. For all you guys out there- please please please work on your verbal skills. In Quant it's easy to figure out easy questions from tough ones, but Verbal ain't like Quant. It's tougher and crazier. :|

2. Each one of you out there is a 700+ material. Trust me, looking at my score I can say that if I reduce the number of guess work on both sections and pace timely in Verbal after thorough practice, I can easily nail down 700. The same goes for you guys too. I plan to retake GMAT next month and I know I will crack 700+. :D

3. GMAT test centers are highly professional environments. It's very different from giving tests sitting on a couch. So be mentally prepared and be very relaxed. GMAT is a 4 hour test and you will be easily drained by the time you reach the last section. If you are not relaxed and fail to tackle one question at a time in a timely manner, I swear you'll end up crying in the test center itself. :)

4. Never give up. Period.

I hope to chill for a few days and start preparing again. All the very best for those of you who have GMAT in near future.
'It ain't over till it's over'- Rock Balboa
Last edited by rohit_667 on Mon May 23, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Tue May 03, 2011 5:43 am
LOL. Nice post. :)
good confidence. All the best to you too pal. :)
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)