Round 1 or 2?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Round 1 or 2?

by soozle » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:15 pm
Hi Stacy,

I would like to know if you think I should apply in round 1 or push my applications to round 2. I think my greatest weakness is my math score on the gmat, so I am scheduled to take the exam again at the end of September. However, that is quite close to the round 1 deadlines. With the time that I’ll be using to improve my quant score, I feel that I’ll be taking away from time available to work on my essays.

Thanks in advance for your help! Here’s my profile:

- GPA, major, school:
California State University, Los Angeles
B.S. with Dual Major in Business Administration (concentration in Finance) and Computer Information Systems (concentration in Information Technology), graduated at age 18, Magna Cum Laude, G.P.A.: 3.747

- GMAT with breakdown :
660, 36/49% math, 45/97% verbal

- resume highlights, including company name, job titles and promotions:
Working for a small investment management firm, which specializes in managing collateralized loan obligation portfolios. Started after college as a trade settlement administrator. Title was changed to portfolio accounting analyst last year. Currently studying for level III of the CFA exam.

- extracurricular involvements:
Extensive non-profit leadership experience during and after college (total of 10 years). Mostly community service involvement, student government work, and non-profit board experience.

- awards, patents, publications, etc...:
Awards in college: Outstanding Student Organization President, scholarships and Who’s Who among college students

- interesting personal facts- countries lived in, challenges faced, unusual interests:
Even though I was born here, I did not speak English until I was 5. It was the fourth language that I was exposed to by the time I started kindergarten. Interested in language and cultural preservation of the Diojiu Chinese. Also recently completed a half marathon.

-schools I’d like to apply to:
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, UCLA, Cornell

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:44 pm
Apply in round 2. I have never gotten anyone in admissions to tell me there is an advantage to applying in one round over another (this does not apply to round 3 or rolling admissions). However, we all know that a stronger application will help you - so take the time to do it right.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me