Ridiculous 570 (Q42, V27)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Ridiculous 570 (Q42, V27)

by cunazza » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:59 am
Hi all,
I just took my GMAT today and got embarassed by the final score 570 (Q42, V27)... This is even lower (and much lower) than the first score I got after the first GMATPrep simulation I took BEFORE starting studying (that was 630).
I had not much time to focus my studying due to my current job which does not give me a lot of free time (working even on weekends), but I'm a Computer Engineer and I've been working in an English speaking country for more than 2 years, so I felt I didn't need a huge preparation in order for me to break the 700 threshold... In fact, when I got 630 to my first simulation, I felt like I was on the right way and with some studying I could get over 700.
After some studying (OG 11/12 and MGMAT questions), I took several simulations (GMATPrep and MGMAT), and all my scores were between 660 and 720, with partials going between Q40/Q47 and V35/V41.
Important point: I was not confident that I could easily get a score greater than 700 on the real thing, but on the other hand I knew that (maybe with a bit of luck) I could also score even more than 720.

My way to the exam

I took one week off from work to try and finalise my studies, since before this week I was studying on and off only when my job allowed me. On the free weekends, I was taking the simulations in the morning and reviewing them in the afternoon (I never had a FULL weekend off, meaning that I could study either on a Saturday or on a Sunday).
I did lots of studying in this week, maybe too much as I felt I was getting very tired so I kept the last 2 days before the real exam pretty much empty from big study.
The exam was in the morning - maybe this was a mistake as I'm not exactly an early person and I had to wake up at 7am.

The exam

When I arrived to the center, I was extremely nervous. Too much. The ladies at the reception did not help at all, they were not friendly and they made me feel like I was on a concentration camp more than just about to have an exam.
After the normal checking procedure, I finally sat to start my GMAT.
The essays were OK, I was trying to relax while writing them and I think I did pretty good. I will update you guys with the score once I get the results.
Quant part started easily and then got a bit more aggressive, I guessed at some questions because I was not even able to understand what they were asking me (yes! I could not understand the English behind the questions), on most of the questions I was pretty sure of my answers, but I also could see that a lot of PS questions were medium difficulty. I can't say anything about the DS questions because for me they are ALL medium/high difficulty. So, I was expecting for my Quant bit something around Q44/Q45.
I had the break after the Quant, drunk some water and went to the toilet. I thought that the Quant part was not bad after all, so if I had achieved an excellent Verbal part, I could be in the 700 eye. I started to get nervous, because I was thinking if my Verbal was just little worse than "excellent", I would have not touched the 700. I went back to my seat and started the Verbal part. After 5 minutes I wanted to go again to the toilet. After 10 minutes I BADLY wanted to go again to the toilet. After 15 minutes I was looking at the timer thinking "OMG, I still have 1 hour before I can go to toilet!". Lesson learned: never drink too much water during this exam. Basically, I think here is where I lost the game. I was not calm anymore, I started to twist about on the chair, trying not to think that I wanted to go the washroom. I would say NOW that I would have done better if I had gone to the gents, losing 4 minutes (2-3 questions) but coming back ready for the final sprint - obviously this is not what I was thinking in that moment (you are allowed to laugh at me!).
After finishing, the score I had was that freaking 570. It surprised because even though the Q partial is more or less what I was expecting, the V partial was lower than I thought I did - in fact was my lowest partial score ever.

So now the point is: I have to retake it and I want to be confident enough that the next time I will actually score more than 700. This time I was not at that point that I was sure to score >700, even though my final score (570) does not reflect my average performance, I was also hoping in a bit of luck to exceed the 700. I found Manhattan GMAT as an invaluable source, those problems are tough (in my opinion a bit tougher than the real GMAT ones), but explanations are great and the concepts they test are definitely the right ones. So I would like to stuck with MGMAT: I liked it, I'm already used to it and with the time constraints given from my job I don't have time to experience something else that I could regret. I bought the MGMAT Internet set (question banks + simulations), I did pretty much all of them and I tried to understand all the concepts behind. No concept on the GMAT is new for me (I'm an engineer), but the way these concepts are tested is definitely new, and I personally do NOT like multiple choices exams.
I would ask some of the brilliant MGMAT tutors over there or any of you guys to suggest me some kind of source that I could use to improve my score and getting confident that I WILL score >700. I feel that in this test confidence is everything.

Please feel free to share thoughts and give me suggestions: I need them!
If I don't swear, look!
ISNASHI