rich nations have joined this downward slide toward

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Many environmentalists, and some economists, say that free trade encourages industry to relocate to countries with ineffective or poorly enforced antipollution laws, mostly in the developing world, and that, in order to maintain competitiveness, rich nations have joined this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution.
A. that, in order to maintain competitiveness, rich nations have joined this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution
B. that, for maintaining competitiveness, rich nations join in this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution
C. that rich nations join this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution because of wanting to maintain competitiveness
D. that in rich nations, joining this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution is a result of wanting to maintain competition
E. that wanting to maintain competition is making rich nations join in this downward slide toward an attitude about pollution that is more lax

[spoiler]OA: A[/spoiler]
Would like to know why B is wrong.
B: rich nations join in this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution
Looks like an eternal truth. If so also what is wrong with the sentence.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:22 pm
(A) it is.

(B) has incorrect parallelism:...that free trade encourages industry to relocate .. and that in order for maintaining is wrong. it should read: to maintain

and tense: that..rich nations join in..it should be that rich nations "have" joined.

Hope this helps.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gauravprashar17 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:32 am
But in Option B,
Free trade encourages.... and rich nation join in this downward .... looks parallel

And in option A,
Free trade encourages .... and and rich nation have joined in this downward....
Is this parallel??

I agree to the fact above explanation, but just wanted to ask is the option A, a parallel construction?

Does having have + v3 construction not make it unparallel to V1 construction

Please advise!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:05 pm
Hi gauravprashar17,

This SC is really wordy, but it's still based on Parallelism rules. The usage of the word "and" (right before the underlined portion) tells us that environmentalists/economists say 2 things....by definition, those 2 things have to be presented in Parallel format.

The first thing is "....THAT free trade encourages industry TO relocate...."

The second phrase should include the word "that" and an infinitive verb "to _____"

Only 2 answers fit this: Answers A and C. Eliminate B, D and E.

In the perfect world, the correct answer would include strict parallelism (the format of the two phrases would line up perfectly). Neither of the remaining answers presents this though, so we have to look for an alternative. Answer A presents a modifier, which is okay. When comparing the phrases:

"rich nations, in order to maintain competitiveness, have joined this downward slide....."

and

"in order to maintain competitiveness, rich nations have joined this downward slide...."

The two phrases have the same meaning, (there's also something to be said for 'style' - I think that the second option 'sounds' better, but style can be a tricky thing to learn). So, there's nothing wrong with Answer A.

Answer C has a number of problems (the infinitive "join", the phrase "because of wanting"), but it does not sound like you were considering this as answer as legitimate contender.

Final Answer: A

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:40 am
gauravprashar17 wrote:But in Option B,
Free trade encourages.... and rich nation join in this downward .... looks parallel

And in option A,
Is this parallel??

I agree to the fact above explanation, but just wanted to ask is the option A, a parallel construction?

Please advise!
A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
VERB and VERB
NOUN and NOUN
ADJECTIVE and ADJECTIVE.

Verbs can be in different tenses and still be considered parallel.
A: Many environmentalists say that free trade encourages...and that rich nations have joined.
Here, and serves to connect the parallel forms in red.
Even though the two verbs (encourages and have joined) are in different tenses (the simple present and the present perfect, respectively), parallelism is maintained.
In each case, the structure is the same: that + NOUN + VERB.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Md Raihan Uddin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:49 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
gauravprashar17 wrote:But in Option B,

And in option A,
Is this parallel??

Please advise!
A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
VERB and VERB
NOUN and NOUN
ADJECTIVE and ADJECTIVE.

Verbs can be in different tenses and still be considered parallel.
A: Many environmentalists say that free trade encourages...and that rich nations have joined.
Here, and serves to connect the parallel forms in red.
Even though the two verbs (encourages and have joined) are in different tenses (the simple present and the present perfect, respectively), parallelism is maintained.
In each case, the structure is the same: that + NOUN + VERB.

Could you please explain what the problem is in option B? Is it the use of present simple tense?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:12 am
Md Raihan Uddin wrote:

Could you please explain what the problem is in option B? Is it the use of present simple tense?
The purpose of the simple present tense is to express a GENERAL TRUTH.
B: Many environmentalists say...that rich nations join in this downward slide.
Here, THIS downward slide implies not a general truth but a slide that is happening NOW.
Thus, the usage of join (simple present tense) is inappropriate.
Eliminate B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Md Raihan Uddin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
The purpose of the simple present tense is to express a GENERAL TRUTH.
B: Many environmentalists say...that rich nations join in this downward slide.
Here, THIS downward slide implies not a general truth but a slide that is happening NOW.
Thus, the usage of join (simple present tense) is inappropriate.
Eliminate B.
Thank you very much.

I also thought that use of present simple is wrong but was not finding the correct reason you showed. Use of "this" is very subtle issue here.