Retaking the GMAT

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Retaking the GMAT

by aj92 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:42 pm
Hi guys ,

I have scored a 710 on my GMAT. (Quant-51 ( :) ) V-34 ( :( ) and IR - 5 ( :( )

Just contemplating whether it would be wise to take the GMAT considering the paltry verbal score. Also, would it be possible to make up for the score in verbal with TOEFL and essays ?

I have seen many people post similar questions, however their aspirations are generally the Top-15 schools. I don't intend to apply to these stellar schools. I would be applying to schools \which have their ranking ranging from 20 to 30 and Asian Schools (NUS, HKUST, ISB)

So considering the target schools, do u think its a wise idea to consider taking the GMAT again ?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:10 am
Thanks for sharing.

The main consideration would be whether you believe you are likely to do better with a retake. Your available time to invest will be the second consideration. If you believe you can put in the time and effort, and have a reasonable chance to score higher, then you should do so.

Boosting your GMAT score can help your chances of admission and scholarship, and help you be at peace that you gave it your best shot.

All the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by uniq01 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:43 am
I think your score is pretty good for some top 10 schools, and even moreso for the top 20-30 schools. Still, you would be better served by checking the average GMAT scores for the specific schools you mentioned, to see where you stand in comparison.

Consider that retaking the GMAT has both an explicit cost and an opportunity cost. Depending on how the application deadlines you're working with, you may be better off using the time you have to put together a solid story and application package rather than studying for and retaking the GMAT when you're not guaranteed to get a significantly better score that will increase your chances of admission.

Good luck.
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:28 pm
That is a score that may be enough for admission for some of these schools as it is, but of course a better score is always preferable.
So the question is mainly if you believe you can do better if you retake? You didn't mention anything about any specific issues or distractions that caused you to do less well than you otherwise might have. Was it your first test?

Without knowing the answers to the questions above I would say that you certainly can retake if you want to improve your chances but I don't see it as a must.
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:25 pm
Michelle@ARINGO wrote:That is a score that may be enough for admission for some of these schools as it is, but of course a better score is always preferable.
So the question is mainly if you believe you can do better if you retake? You didn't mention anything about any specific issues or distractions that caused you to do less well than you otherwise might have. Was it your first test?

Without knowing the answers to the questions above I would say that you certainly can retake if you want to improve your chances but I don't see it as a must.
Best response out there... ::clapping::
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants