Retaking GMAT (440 in '07). Strategy for Next 4 Weeks.

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello, everyone!

I've just joined this great network and wanted to see if, perhaps, some of you could advise me on how to shape the next four weeks of my GMAT prep. My test is scheduled for August 6, 2011.

A little bit about myself: I first took GMAT in 2007 and scored an extremely embarrassing 440. This score was a complete shock to me because, when I was preparing for the test, I would score in high 600's/low 700's. However, I only studied for two weeks which, I suppose, would only constitute a thorough review and would not qualify as "studying". And that's exactly what my score demonstrated.

I'm retaking the test on August 6, 2011, and I'm aiming for a 740 (which might seem like a pipe dream, but, honestly, I've done so much studying already that I feel it's possible, and, also, I think that 440 must have been a serious fluke).

What I've done for this upcoming test:

1) I completed the MLIC online course (8 weeks). I know there are some negative reviews on the boards here (& elsewhere) about this course, but I learned about them after I was deep into this course, haha! Now that I'm done with the course, despite some drawbacks, I think I received a much needed structure for studying, a rigorous schedule where I would do 20 hrs of studying/testing a week for 8 weeks, and extremely comprehensive course materials that gave me a solid foundation in every subject area covered by the test. For someone like me, who has failed so horribly on this test, I needed a ground-up, comprehensive review of every single concept covered in the test. This course, despite some drawbacks, gave me that.

2) I completed three Peterson's full length practice CAT's:

June 21 - 610
June 29 - 680
July 10 - 740

3) Covered a Princeton Review 1,012 test questions book, reviewed the Peterson's Master the GMAT guide, and also McGraw Hill's Conquering the GMAT Math (this last one was completely and utterly useless!)

Now that I've read a lot on this forum, I realize that my GMAT prep path is almost completely opposite of what's suggested here. MLIC course is frowned upon, and no one seems to be using Petersons/McGraw Hill materials, lol!

In the next four weeks, I'm planning to fix this by doing the following:

1) Going over the most current Official Guide (it's in the mail!!)
2) Testing on GMATprep software (this weekend)

Could anyone advise whether there is anything else that's a must for the next four weeks? Also, what is the best Quant Review guide out there? I've got to erase that 440 embarrassment from my record!

Thank you all so much!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:60 members

by arun@crackverbal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:36 am
At the outset, congratulations for taking it so sportingly. After many months of toil if someone had told me that the courses/books that I took/read were useless I would have used the gun (either on myself or on the person who told me that ;-)).

You are indeed on the right track. For starters take the GMATPrep and let us know your scores. Everything else will depend on how well you do there. I am pretty sure it will be a lot more than the 440 but not sure how close to the 740 you are targeting. In anycase 4 weeks is a long time to change things. You are the right place :)

Keep us posted,

Arun
Founder of CrackVerbal - India's fastest growing GMAT Prepration and MBA Admissions Consulting Company. https://gmat.crackverbal.com

Free Ebook on GMAT | GMAT Scoring, Study plan, top study mistakes etc
Download here: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/15-minute-gmat-guide

Good enough to get into Harvard? Or would be it ISB? Get a free profile report PDF mailed to you: https://applications.crackverbal.com/fre ... valuation/

by UlyBeatsGMAT » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:13 am
Hi Arun! Thank you so much for your response.

I have an update - I registered for the Manhattan GMAT course which will last 9 weeks and will be a classroom course. So, I've postponed the test. I'll be taking GMAT in early October.

The impetus for that decision was me taking a paper Princeton Review test and really struggling with timing! I obviously need more training. What's a few more weeks when you've done so much work already, right?

So my plan is:
#1 - Review the OG and do the GMATprep tests
#2 - Cover some additional books I ordered (on SC, CR, and advanced Quant)
#3 - Attend the MGMAT course
#4 - TEST in October!

To be updated... (hopefully, with good news!)

Uly

by gmattaker20 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:07 pm
Hi UlyBeatsGMAT,

I need your help and have messaged you. Could you please check your message inbox.

Thanks