Retake GMAT with a sub-80 percentile quant?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear Admissions Consultants,

Should I retake the GMAT? Am very concerned with the sub-80 percentile quant score (plus slightly below-mean scores at my target schools), but am also keenly aware of the effort needed for essays etc since I am targeting Round 1 deadlines. Is it worth postponing to Round 2 for this?

Also, how important is the GMAT when it comes to applying for Management Consulting/I-Banking positions post-MBA?

Here's my profile....

GMAT: 700(90%): Q79% V89% on first attempt.

College: Second class upper in Engineering from a well-known UK top-10 university (happen to know what GPA would my degree grade translate to?)

Work: 5 years experience in a Fortune 500 company in Asia as an Engineer (I also originate from here. Note: not India). Have taken on technical leadership roles.

EC: Was in the committee of a student society in university.
Have taken some minor leadership role in the local church (should I mention this?) since graduation, but not much else.

Target schools: Harvard/Wharton/Stanford/INSEAD.

Thank you!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Retaking the GMAT

by shruti.bittu » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Hi,
I gave the GMAT a few days back and scored 720 (VA - 36, QA - 51)
and AWA 4.

I am thinking of giving the exam again because of the dismal AWA score.
Could anyone suggest me if this would be the right strategy ?

I've about 3 years of quality workex, decent acads and extra curr and thinking of applying to some of the US B schools (top most as well as middle ones).

I am currently in a dilemma whether I should retake the GMAT to improve my AWA and overall score. (AWA is the main concern).

Will be really thankful if you could provide some suggestions.

Thanks,
Shruti

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Dear mbadream2,

Thanks for your post. You asked whether or not to retake your GMAT. You mentioned that your GMAT score was 700(90%): Q79% V89% on first attempt.

Overall, you have a solid GMAT score that will make you competitive at top 10-top 15 programs. Thus, in most cases your GMAT score is fine as is.

However, if you are seeking a position at a top 5 business school and if you want to work in a top tier consulting firm, you probably need to get a higher GMAT score. This is because a 700 is below the average at top schools. In addition, some top consulting firms do ask MBA students about the GMAT score and the firms prefer candidates with a higher GMAT.

Bottom line: If you really are aiming for the top 5 programs and you think that you are capable of raising your test score by 20-30+ points this summer, then I recommend that you retake it. In addition, you should have time to retake it in July and still have time to meet the Round 1 deadlines in October.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Eliot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:04 am
Shruti,

Thanks for your note. Congratulations on your 720 GMAT score. This is great score - you should not retake the test because of the AWA.

Your time is much better spent working on the other elements of your application. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this further.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

by a_brown » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:08 am
Hi Elliot,
I plan to apply to HBS this year and I would please like to know what my chances are
My details are:

GMAT: 700

Undergraduate: upper second class honours from Imperial College in Chemical eng. Will my UG degree affect my chances? I have many scores in the 40s and 50s, and although the British mark very differently from the Americans, I am worried that this could be a deal breaker for me..

Work: Multinational oil company. worked in 3 different countries, 2 promotions, and solid professional record

I hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks
Kind Regards,
Andy

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Eliot » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:18 am
Andy,

Thanks for your note. While your academics will be a bit below the average for HBS, I need more information about your leadership ability before assessing your chances at HBS. For example, were you a campus leader in college? A leader at work? Outside of work? Have you accomplished a lot in your work roles?

Meaning, HBS is really focused on applicants with strong leadership potential. If you can demonstrate your leadership, then your academics might be sufficient. Feel free to contact me for a free initial phone consultation - I would be happy to discuss this with you.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

by mbadream2 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:54 pm
Eliot,

Thanks for your reply. I'll be deliberating on your remarks.

Could you comment on my profile as it stands presently?

Thanks again!

by a_brown » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:42 am
Thanks for your reply Eliot

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Eliot » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:26 am
mbadream2,

Thanks for your note. Based on what you have shared so far, it sounds like you have a solid background - 5 years as an engineer, good grades, good test score, and some leadership experience. Thus, you should be competitive at top 10-top 15 schools. However, I think that top 5 schools would be a bit of a stretch at this point. In order to improve your chances at top 5 schools, you will need to retake your GMAT. You will also need to highlight your impact at work and your leadership abilities/examples in greater detail.

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this further. We do offer a free initial phone consultation.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590