• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Request experts guidance: Scored just 620

This topic has 4 expert replies and 5 member replies

Request experts guidance: Scored just 620

Post
Hi Experts,

I took GMAT on 30th June 2017 and scored 620. Individual scores of all the sections are as follows-
Verbal- 27 / 47%
Quant- 48 / 69%
AWA- 5 / 54%
IR- 6 / 70%

I was preparing for GMAT from past 5 months. I did not take any classes or tuition although I bought GMAT Official Guide, Manhattan 6 CATs, GMAT Exam Prep 2, Kaplan Premier book and studied from all these resources. I was targeting 700 so that I could get a decent college in United States.

Firstly I would like to know if there is any good college I can get with 620 score or shall I take GMAT again?
Secondly I would like to know how can I improve my Verbal? I found RC passages really difficult. Is there any book or novel I can read to improve on my comprehension skills?
Thirdly if getting 5 on AWA is good as my percentile is only 54%?

Pls let me know if you need any more information from my side. I would really appreciate if you could spare some time and answer my queries. Thanks in advance.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Posted:
2667 messages
Followed by:
122 members
Upvotes:
1153
GMAT Score:
770
Post
roligupta6 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I took GMAT on 30th June 2017 and scored 620. Individual scores of all the sections are as follows-
Verbal- 27 / 47%
Quant- 48 / 69%
AWA- 5 / 54%
IR- 6 / 70%

I was preparing for GMAT from past 5 months. I did not take any classes or tuition although I bought GMAT Official Guide, Manhattan 6 CATs, GMAT Exam Prep 2, Kaplan Premier book and studied from all these resources. I was targeting 700 so that I could get a decent college in United States.

Firstly I would like to know if there is any good college I can get with 620 score or shall I take GMAT again?
Secondly I would like to know how can I improve my Verbal? I found RC passages really difficult. Is there any book or novel I can read to improve on my comprehension skills?
Thirdly if getting 5 on AWA is good as my percentile is only 54%?

Pls let me know if you need any more information from my side. I would really appreciate if you could spare some time and answer my queries. Thanks in advance.
Is it possible to be admitted to a top program with a 620? Sure. But the rest of your application would have to be unusually impressive. There's really no reason not to take the exam again. Can you tell us a little more? How did the verbal on the official test compare to your verbal scores on practice exams? Did you order an Enhanced Score Report to confirm that Reading Comp was, in fact, the primary issue?

(And don't worry about the percentile on the AWA. It just means that a fairly high percentage of test-takers are able to write competent essays. Schools don't put much emphasis on this score, and even if they did, a 5 would be perfectly acceptable.)

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
23 Mar 2017
Posted:
6 messages
Facebook Logo
Post
Hi David,

Thanks for replying to me. Following are the scores on my practice exams-

Manhattan CATs-
CAT 1- V 28 Q 43 TS- 580
CAT 2- V 26 Q 46 TS- 590
CAT 3- V 32 Q 45 TS- 630
CAT 4- V 29 Q 45 TS- 600
CAT 5- V 34 Q 47 TS- 670
CAT 6- V 36 Q 48 TS- 690

GMAT Prep Exam Pack 2-
Exam 5- TS 610 V 26 Q 48
Exam 6- TS 620 V 25 Q 49

No, I did not order Enhanced Score Report. Shall I?
Pls guide me how do I plan on doing this & how can I improve my Verbal?



DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
roligupta6 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I took GMAT on 30th June 2017 and scored 620. Individual scores of all the sections are as follows-
Verbal- 27 / 47%
Quant- 48 / 69%
AWA- 5 / 54%
IR- 6 / 70%

I was preparing for GMAT from past 5 months. I did not take any classes or tuition although I bought GMAT Official Guide, Manhattan 6 CATs, GMAT Exam Prep 2, Kaplan Premier book and studied from all these resources. I was targeting 700 so that I could get a decent college in United States.

Firstly I would like to know if there is any good college I can get with 620 score or shall I take GMAT again?
Secondly I would like to know how can I improve my Verbal? I found RC passages really difficult. Is there any book or novel I can read to improve on my comprehension skills?
Thirdly if getting 5 on AWA is good as my percentile is only 54%?

Pls let me know if you need any more information from my side. I would really appreciate if you could spare some time and answer my queries. Thanks in advance.
Is it possible to be admitted to a top program with a 620? Sure. But the rest of your application would have to be unusually impressive. There's really no reason not to take the exam again. Can you tell us a little more? How did the verbal on the official test compare to your verbal scores on practice exams? Did you order an Enhanced Score Report to confirm that Reading Comp was, in fact, the primary issue?

(And don't worry about the percentile on the AWA. It just means that a fairly high percentage of test-takers are able to write competent essays. Schools don't put much emphasis on this score, and even if they did, a 5 would be perfectly acceptable.)



Last edited by roligupta6 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
15 Aug 2017
Posted:
4 messages
Upvotes:
1
Post
roligupta6 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I took GMAT on 30th June 2017 and scored 620. Individual scores of all the sections are as follows-
Verbal- 27 / 47%
Quant- 48 / 69%
AWA- 5 / 54%
IR- 6 / 70%

I was preparing for GMAT from past 5 months. I did not take any classes or tuition although I bought GMAT Official Guide, Manhattan 6 CATs, GMAT Exam Prep 2, Kaplan Premier book and studied from all these resources. I was targeting 700 so that I could get a decent college in United States.

Firstly I would like to know if there is any good college I can get with 620 score or shall I take GMAT again?
Secondly I would like to know how can I improve my Verbal? I found RC passages really difficult. Is there any book or novel I can read to improve on my comprehension skills?
Thirdly if getting 5 on AWA is good as my percentile is only 54%?

Pls let me know if you need any more information from my side. I would really appreciate if you could spare some time and answer my queries. Thanks in advance.
You're not exactly a target demographic, so a 700+ would be extremely helpful. Your V and AWA scores are actually quite impressive for a non-native speaker and seem to be on an upward trajectory, so as useless as this advice may seem, just keep drilling questions and forcing yourself to understand the answer -- it may take ~100 hours, but you'll get there eventually. Eventually the GMAT runs out of tricks to throw at you. Additionally, if you come from a math (statistics more specifically) background, thinking about passages re: threats to internal validity may be helpful (OVB, simultaneous causality, sample selection bias, error in variables, etc) for determining errors in logic. Diagramming arguments (this supports that, etc.) may work as well.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
23 Mar 2017
Posted:
6 messages
Facebook Logo
Post
Thanks for replying.
Pls suggest how I can improve my Verbal especially RC? Shall I buy any specific course?

Haardvark wrote:
roligupta6 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I took GMAT on 30th June 2017 and scored 620. Individual scores of all the sections are as follows-
Verbal- 27 / 47%
Quant- 48 / 69%
AWA- 5 / 54%
IR- 6 / 70%

I was preparing for GMAT from past 5 months. I did not take any classes or tuition although I bought GMAT Official Guide, Manhattan 6 CATs, GMAT Exam Prep 2, Kaplan Premier book and studied from all these resources. I was targeting 700 so that I could get a decent college in United States.

Firstly I would like to know if there is any good college I can get with 620 score or shall I take GMAT again?
Secondly I would like to know how can I improve my Verbal? I found RC passages really difficult. Is there any book or novel I can read to improve on my comprehension skills?
Thirdly if getting 5 on AWA is good as my percentile is only 54%?

Pls let me know if you need any more information from my side. I would really appreciate if you could spare some time and answer my queries. Thanks in advance.
You're not exactly a target demographic, so a 700+ would be extremely helpful. Your V and AWA scores are actually quite impressive for a non-native speaker and seem to be on an upward trajectory, so as useless as this advice may seem, just keep drilling questions and forcing yourself to understand the answer -- it may take ~100 hours, but you'll get there eventually. Eventually the GMAT runs out of tricks to throw at you. Additionally, if you come from a math (statistics more specifically) background, thinking about passages re: threats to internal validity may be helpful (OVB, simultaneous causality, sample selection bias, error in variables, etc) for determining errors in logic. Diagramming arguments (this supports that, etc.) may work as well.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Joined
23 Jun 2013
Posted:
10197 messages
Followed by:
496 members
Upvotes:
2867
GMAT Score:
800
Most Active Expert
Post
Hi roligupta6,

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

It could be that your 620 is strong enough for you to apply to the Schools that offer the type of Program that matches what you want out of a career. If you end up needing a higher GMAT Score to be 'competitive', then a retest will be necessary.

Based on what you have described, your studies have been 'book heavy'; many Test Takers who use a book heavy study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Considering how you Official Scores compares to your last 2 Official practice CATs, it's possible that this has happened to you. To score significantly higher, you might need to invest in some new, non-book study materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

_________________
Contact Rich at Rich.C@empowergmat.com

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
23 Mar 2017
Posted:
6 messages
Facebook Logo
Post
Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying to me.
I am afraid I have answers to few of your questions but not all. I am planning to take GMAT again but this time I would focus more on Verbal.
Pls suggest what resources I should use in order to improve my Verbal especially comprehension skills. I find myself really stuck in RC passages. Shall I read some books or magazines to enhance my reading skills?

Rich.C@EMPOWERgmat.com wrote:
Hi roligupta6,

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

It could be that your 620 is strong enough for you to apply to the Schools that offer the type of Program that matches what you want out of a career. If you end up needing a higher GMAT Score to be 'competitive', then a retest will be necessary.

Based on what you have described, your studies have been 'book heavy'; many Test Takers who use a book heavy study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Considering how you Official Scores compares to your last 2 Official practice CATs, it's possible that this has happened to you. To score significantly higher, you might need to invest in some new, non-book study materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Joined
23 Jun 2013
Posted:
10197 messages
Followed by:
496 members
Upvotes:
2867
GMAT Score:
800
Most Active Expert
Post
Hi roligupta6,

With a V27, you would have lost significant points in at least 2 of the 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR), so to hit your score goal you will likely need to improve in more than just RC. Given your 'book heavy' approach, continuing to focus on books/magazines probably won't provide the 'fix' that you're looking for. Raising a 620 to a 700+ will likely take another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

_________________
Contact Rich at Rich.C@empowergmat.com

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
23 Mar 2017
Posted:
6 messages
Facebook Logo
Post
Hi Rich,

I believe I can dedicate 35-40 hours each week or maybe more to study for GMAT that I want to take in another 1-2 months. But I am not able to decide how to prepare for Verbal this time.

Request your guidance.

Thanks,
Roli Gupta

Rich.C@EMPOWERgmat.com wrote:
Hi roligupta6,

With a V27, you would have lost significant points in at least 2 of the 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR), so to hit your score goal you will likely need to improve in more than just RC. Given your 'book heavy' approach, continuing to focus on books/magazines probably won't provide the 'fix' that you're looking for. Raising a 620 to a 700+ will likely take another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Joined
23 Jun 2013
Posted:
10197 messages
Followed by:
496 members
Upvotes:
2867
GMAT Score:
800
Most Active Expert
Post
Hi roligupta6,

You have to be careful about confusing 'quantity' of study with 'quality' of study. You probably do not need to study 35-40 hours each week - and that volume of study might lead to 'burn out' (which is something that you want to avoid). That all having been said, it sounds like you have plenty of potential study time available, so we just need to make sure that you're focused on learning and practicing the proper Tactics.

To hone your Verbal skills and score higher in that section, you will likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. I suggest that you take advantage of all of the options though, then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

_________________
Contact Rich at Rich.C@empowergmat.com

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep

Top First Responders*

1 Ian Stewart 53 first replies
2 Brent@GMATPrepNow 36 first replies
3 Jay@ManhattanReview 29 first replies
4 GMATGuruNY 25 first replies
5 ceilidh.erickson 15 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

199 posts
2 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

90 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

76 posts
4 image description Ian Stewart

GMATiX Teacher

62 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

44 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts