regular vs micronized dhea

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

regular vs micronized dhea

by saintlychik » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:28 am
In her research paper, Dr. Samantha Hoar,the medical director of sexual health clinic, distinguishes regular dhea, which may elevate testosterone levels leading to sexual aggression, from micronized dhea sulfate, which may promote overall well-being.
(A) regular dhea, which may elevate testosterone levels leading to sexual aggression, from micronized dhea sulfate,
(B) between regular dhea, which may elevate testosterone levels leading to sexual aggression, and micronized dhea sulfate,
(C) between regular dhea, which may elevate testosterone levels and lead to sexual aggression, and micronized dhea sulfate,
(D) regular dhea elevating testosterone levels and leading to sexual aggression from micronized dhea sulfate,
(E) between regular dhea elevating testosterone levels leading to sexual aggression and micronized dhea sulfate,

I actually chose an A because I thought 'Distinguish X from Y is the correct idiom.
Can some1 pls help me explain this?
OA : B .
IS the correct idiom distinguish b/w X and y?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:35 am
Yes, I just checked the MGMAT Guide. Distinguish between X And Y is the correct Idiom.

From is suspect.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:44 am
distinguish btw X and y... distinguish X from Y both are correct...

here I guess we need to parallel the modifiers

A/B/C all three looks good for me.. let us wait for our buddies first befor pinging experts
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:04 am
Is this OG question . Both forms are considered correct , there are many discussions on this topic . Please refer below link for more insight :-

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/dis ... t3887.html

According to above link "Distinguish X from Y" is inferior idiom .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:12 am
thanks for that link AIM.
that is the only point i guess on the basis of which we can eliminate option A.
its A vs B.
now you even need to learn preference over certain idioms in addition to the idioms, wonderful. :D

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 am
btw i also found this

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/reg ... 12275.html

wonder if Ron could point out the issues on this forum.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:53 am
Hi guys...

first of all @AIM, thanks for the link but still the confusion is not cleared.

Second, i want you all to notice something, i'm not sure, the point m raising actually makes sense or not please suggest.

If u notice the two things which are compared then i believe both belongs to different class. The comparison was made b/w....regular dhea and micronized dhea sulfate...so we are comparing b/w

X = Dhea and Y = Sulphate

As micronized dhea is just an adjective the main noun is sulphate.

Now is this a correct comparison?? and if so, does this thing has anything to do in selecting a particular IDIOM...as both IDIOMS are correct.

Op C is clearly wrong as the word Leading is required which modify testosterone levels which lead to sexual aggression.

I think some expert can help us all

Thanks

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 am
atulmangal wrote:Hi guys...

first of all @AIM, thanks for the link but still the confusion is not cleared.

Second, i want you all to notice something, i'm not sure, the point m raising actually makes sense or not please suggest.

If u notice the two things which are compared then i believe both belongs to different class. The comparison was made b/w....regular dhea and micronized dhea sulfate...so we are comparing b/w

X = Dhea and Y = Sulphate

As micronized dhea is just an adjective the main noun is sulphate.

Now is this a correct comparison?? and if so, does this thing has anything to do in selecting a particular IDIOM...as both IDIOMS are correct.

Op C is clearly wrong as the word Leading is required which modify testosterone levels which lead to sexual aggression.

I think some expert can help us all

Thanks
good catch Atul. may be thts the reason Ron said this isnt a good Q.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 am
@rohu

Ahh..!!After your comment on my post i followed the link you posted, in which Ron said this question has some serious issues. Now m sure, comparison b/w different things is possibly the issue.

@saintlychik

Please pm an expert...better if you pm Ron or Mitch(GMATGuruNY), because i think i have seen almost same type of question in SC thread where both these correct idioms were used and Mitch answered that question well.

The issue is not the OA or this question...the issue is how to choose b/w these two IDIOMS???
Do we have to apply some concept, as we apply in "Compare to" and "compare with" or something else????

Please PM one of these experts that gonna really help.

Thanks